Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 257b

kirby ward · 2024-12-01 22:35

Serial number SLK04436 I just bought this machine and within a few hours I blew a hydraulic line that went from the hydraulic AC compressor in the belly pan to the HYDRAULIC fan below the radiator once I fixed that I started getting a blue smoke and no power issue and sounded like a pump was on, turns out the interlock auxiliary hydraulic circuit was coming on on their own, I could get them to go off sometimes by hitting different switches taking it out of park shutting the key off just different things would get it to go off sometimes but every time I started the machine that auxiliary hydraulic pump would be on deadheading I guess, I had a cat service guy out here and he shut off those hydraulics in the computer and it has been fine but what I don’t understand is I still have auxiliary hydraulics working on the joystick, I can still hear it dead head when I hit the thumb roller and now I don’t have AC because it is ran off of that hydraulic circuit. The cat guy has not been very helpful. He has tried, but he has no idea really on this particular machine so he’s doing his own research. I really don’t know where to go from here. First I would like to understand exactly what he turned off that made the pump go off and the machine run normal then I would like to know where to go from here, I bought this machine to run a vibrating roller and a 6 way blade for building small pads so I need all auxiliary hydraulics to work and I have to have ac come summer, ac is why I chose this machine to begin with but after spending close to $30k on this machine and then loosing the contract I bought it for because it was broke down it has me stressed to the max and will probably be on the verge of bankruptcy soon. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2024-12-02 10:08

    My first suggestion would be to ask him what he turned off. Does the fact that he had a computer to turn "something" off mean that he has a computer with Cat ET diagnostic software on it.? If the answer to that is yes then you need him to download a Product Status Report in (the optional) Adobe pdf format. That should give a clue as to what might be going on. Something that you can do for yourself would be to get access to the two electronic controls under the cab floor and check the electrical connectors on both for signs of dirt, damp, and green crusties. Clean as required and see if that makes any improvement. I have circled them on the attachment.

  2. #2kirby ward2024-12-06 00:20

    He turned off the interlock part of the aux Hydraulics. The ac also runs off of that same circuit so it’s not working now either since he shut it off and yes it was a cat service tech that did it with cat et. I will get the cab up and check those plugs really well and clean them as best I can and let you know if it changes anything.

  3. #3Nige2024-12-06 09:56

    I'm afraid that makes no sense to me. I was not aware that there were any "settable" parameters in the AUX Hydraulic ECM apart from the High Flow parameter. As your machine is not equipped with High Flow as far as I can see then it cannot be that. At this point I see no other option for you other than to ask him straight out exactly WHAT did he disable and, more importantly, HOW did he do it. The A/C compressor and the fan run off one of the implement pumps. So I take it that the radiator cooling fan is also not running.? If it is not then THIS IS DANGEROUS because there is no cooling for the engine or the hydraulics. You should not run the machine in this condtion. I cannot believe that a Cat tech would do something like that, apart from temporarily as a test. The only advice I can give you is to have him put everything back the way it should be and let's try to diagnose it from that point.

  4. #4kirby ward2024-12-18 16:49

    I talked to the cat guy and he couldn’t find the status report that he did on it, but he said that everything was working properly on the status report. All the electronics were getting the correct signals and all solenoids were working correctly. He said he just turned off the only thing he could which was just auxiliary hydraulics, also the fan above the engine is still working normal so it’s not overheating or anything. I don’t have cat ET so I can’t clean the plugs that you mentioned above and see if it fixes anything without having a Cat Tech back out here to turn aux hydraulics back on so I’m at a loss of what I could do without taking it in to Cat and it’s been a bad year so I just don’t have the money to do that right now.