Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 257B battery drain

03hdrk · 2023-10-18 17:29

Have a 3.00 amp draw after the key is turned off. It slowly lowers to about .4 over a 20 to 30 min period and by then the battery is down low enough that it won't start the machine. I pulled every fuse under the seat and the draw continued. Nige got me the diagram, so now I am looking for a direction. The diagram is so large I was hoping someone might know of a common problem

Replies6
  1. #1Arny L2023-10-18 20:27

    Its normal to have a current draw, when key is switched off, as different modules power down, the draw should dissipate to whatever manufacturer says is acceptable for that electrical system. Known as parasitic draw. Anything over 45 to 50 milli amps, would indicate possible issue. But check your manual, it should be stated somewhere. And yes, some systems can take up to half an hour to completely turn off. If you meet the spec, then a new battery might be your issue.

  2. #203hdrk2023-10-18 21:28

    I was leaning toward the battery, but it seems to charge correctly from the alternator. But.... I will test the battery. Thanks for your help.

  3. #3Simon C2023-10-18 22:20

    When battery plates start to get sulphated, they no longer have capacity. Arny L is probably correct in his diagnosis in my opinion. My own pickup was having same issue with only 10 milliamps of draw and new battery was solution. I also knew cause a battery load test failed after a fresh recharging. Might be worth while to load test the battery. Hope it helps. Simon C

  4. #4Nige2023-10-19 03:45

    Whether the battery checks out good or not I would suggest to install an isolator switch in the negative cable between the battery and ground. The later models have them, I can’t understand why the earlier ones didn’t.

  5. #5Nige2023-10-19 15:56

    Here's the parts illustration of the main isolator switch (circled) from a later model.

  6. #6Simon C2023-10-19 22:48

    Cole Hershee Model 2484-16 is about best master disconnect for the money. Don't buy model 2484 as it does not handle a fraction of the current. I have installed many over the years. Simon C