Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 257b Hard Start

watglen ยท 2010-02-01 23:56

Hello all, I wanted to ask whether anyone else has a cat 257b (or similar) that is hard starting. Pre-heater helps a lot to get it going. The other day it was in the shop nice and warm. I cranked it and it wouldn't start. Finally ran the preheater for a couple seconds and it fired right up. The machine has 360 hrs on it. Explain?

Replies9
  1. #1bill onthehill2010-02-02 06:58

    Fuel quality or low compression would be possible. With that low hours something strange you need preheat for a warm machine.

  2. #2Squizzy246B2010-02-02 08:09

    I don't know about "hard" starting but my 226BII almost always needs 5 seconds of glow plugs for the first start of the day. The manual says 10 seconds for cold conditions. It always starts fine if I glow it and it has the same hours as yours.

  3. #3watglen2010-02-02 08:15

    That is exactly what i'm talking about. I crank and crank, makes lots of white smoke, but no fire. And yes, its always the first start of the day.

  4. #4heavytorching2010-02-16 19:59

    white smoke,sounds like water in fuel?,i would syphon tank and replace filters?

  5. #5John C.2010-02-16 20:32

    What you are describing is normal for those small engines. I don't know why that is so but I've never seen an easy starting Cat skid steer.

  6. #6watglen2010-02-16 20:35

    i kinda figured that. I assumed that the emissions requirements created an injection pump that wont start the motor. I could be wrong.

  7. #771202010-02-16 21:50

    I have a 262 Cat it starts good in cold weather with no smoke. I do use the glow plugs if it is cold outside.

  8. #8jrtraderny2010-02-16 23:18

    I've got a 247B that I have to preheat when it's 70 out. jr

  9. #9DRPEPPER2010-02-17 06:24

    all the small skid steers with the 3024 engine are hard to start like 216 226 232 247 257 b and b2 models the larger ones with the 3044 engine arnt to bad to start in the cold