Hello all, I just got a cat 257B tracked skid steer, 700 hrs and in good condition. I had a cat guy go over and look at it and he checked the engine, hydraulics, UC and pilot controls among many other things and gave me a report. I then looked at it and made my offer. Purchased the machine and now I have a few questions. I am looking for a service manual but until then what are the major maint hrs on the undercarriage, what are some of the daily/weekly/monthly things to do? I know the common sense stuff, but don't want to miss anything important. Any other tips and tricks that other owners have for me? Thanks. John
daily you NEED to grease the three fittings on each side of the undercarriage for the pivots for the torsion springs, they need grease as much as the bucket pivots, the manual should give you all the hours that things need to be change,we do oil with samples every 250 hours and change all filters, plan on changing the hyd. filter when you change the engine oil, , it is easier to get the amazingly small oil filter off without the hyd. filter in the way, also make sure that when you get the new fuel filter you take the lower sediment bowl off the old one, then screw it on the new one after you take the black drain off the bottom of the new one. other then that that is all I can think of that you`ll need to know, if and when you start losing bogies wheels let me know and i`ll tell you all the little tricks I have learned when dealing with them.