Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bobcat crawl up and died

pigdog ยท 2009-10-28 15:26

My story...Bought an old bobcat (AS IS old 642B ) seemed to run pretty good. The guy told me it had no leaks.I checked it out pretty good I thought.Hydraulic seals hoses didn't appear to leak. Had the guy drop it off (haven't got a trailer yet!).Fired it up drove it off the drive looked back ...an oil spot! Durn!!! Drove it around got it hot then opened it up I think it's an oil cooler leak. BUT! thats not the problem! After a couple hours of use I fired it up the lift arms go up but won't come down and the bucket turns straight down!! When the eventually leak down it lifts the thing off the ground! I think its a control valve stuck...I don't know for sure?? Somebody Help give me a little direction!!

Replies11
  1. #1tonka2009-10-28 17:54

    Take it back to the guy you bought it from. Did you not run it befor you bought it?

  2. #2mrfixitpaul2009-10-28 21:08

    Sounds like you have engaged the auxiliary hydraulics....that will make the other functions act up. The right side steering lever also controls the aux. and locks in detent when moved to the right...sometimes they are a little sticky but you should be able to disengage it by moving it to the left and allowing to go back to center. As for the leak....you can get a look at the oil cooler by removing the flat covers just above the engine.

  3. #3pigdog2009-10-28 21:44

    Yeah...this thing zipped around pretty good at first but after I used it a little the Hyd oil was low so I added to it! actually a couple of times! Wasn't sure about the viscosity at first so I bought some from the agri supply to get me by finally was able to get the bobcat "Blackgold"!! Don't think this thing has a aux switch (this is an old one)! 1988-89

  4. #4pigdog2009-10-28 21:49

    This thing...Had to jack this thing up to drop the bucket so I could get this thing semi level to the ground! It wouldn't crank(gas engine with a carb and float).

  5. #5pigdog2009-10-28 21:53

    One more thing here! Drive motors move pretty good still they have a little squeal to them sounds like a "pump losing prime" you know! But seem strong!

  6. #6spitzair2009-10-28 23:42

    Pigdog, I think you misunderstood Mrfixitpaul. I think he's hit the nail on the head. The right control lever is in essence a 4 way joystick so in addition to the right side drive it is also your auxiliary hydraulics control. If you move the lever to the right it will go into detent. If you move it left you should feel it clunk out of detent. If you lift the cab you can see the mechanism in there and actually install a bolt to lock out the aux. function... Hope this is what the problem is/was...

  7. #7pigdog2009-10-29 00:18

    Thanks spitzar! Thanks alot Mr fixit ... I didn't catch that I'll try it tomorrow! Thats what I need some sounding boards! I'm actually excited about checking that out!! This thing is getting to be a thorn.

  8. #8Komatsu 1502009-10-29 09:28

    I had an operator do this to our old Bobcat. It used to happen so often the dealer started blocking the control with a bolt when they delivered a new machine if he knew the customer didn't have any hydraulic accessories - too many wasted service calls.

  9. #9pigdog2009-10-29 16:48

    Man-O-man Fixit,Spitzair you guys were right!!! But that thing was a stinker!! I bet I tried that thing sixteen times...Kept thinking this thing ain't going to win! All of a sudden I heard the pump "change tunes"! I pulled that thing over held it for a second, hit my pedals...Arrrr she blows..,bucket came right up! Don't think the aux. been used much in a while and was sticking???? Boy I'm learning this thing the hard way. Thanks Guys...even found my leak!! This has been a good day! My wife is even threatening to make a pecan pie!! Thanks again!!

  10. #10spitzair2009-10-29 17:21

    Glad we could help! I'll try to draw a drawing of how to lock out the aux. function so you won't have this problem in the future, unless of course you need to run an attachment with them... So what was the leak? Something simple, I hope... And your wife is making pie? Sounds like a good day in my book too!

  11. #11bobcatmechanic2009-10-29 18:47

    pop the cab undo the linkage if not necessary or put the bolt in the hole by the pivot point