Hi all, Thanks for any help in advance. I did a serial number lookup on my skid, and apparently Caterpillar can't find it... so... I own a 2010 257b3 track loader, s/n 0B7H00582. The coolant is just a touch low, and I want to top it off. It may be pretty cold this winter, so I do want to ensure I have proper anti freeze levels so I don't have issues. I was just going to buy some 50/50 coolant, or whatever I need to use, and top it off and keep the rest on hand for the future needs. (I own a farm, so easy is good, in case I need to have someone else do it). Does anyone know what coolant type I will need to use, and any documentation to look this up in the future? I checked the Cat coolant guide, but seems a bit rough to traverse and there is no clear answers that I was able to make out. Sure it's me, not Cat. But that's where I'm at. Thanks again for any information and assistance. Regards, DB
B7H is a good prefix so I can't see a problem there. If the coolant is red in colour, chances are that it's Cat ELC. You can buy it premixed at your Cat dealer and sometimes truck dealers and parts shops stock it also. If it's not red then someone has changed it and in that case I recommend draining, flushing and refilling the system with ELC. In my opinion, it's the best coolant money can buy.
I second that....... for the quantity you need to buy for topping up a skid steer there is no point in buying cheap IMO. I think you can buy it by the quart, I'm not sure, but you certainly can buy it by the gallon. If you go anywhere other than the Cat dealer for it make sure you buy a coolant that is marked on the container that it meets Cat EC-1 specification. If you do have to flush it then do it 2 or 3 times with clean water just to make sure you've got all the old coolant out.