I have recently bought a 2015 cat 259 d and have the final drive halfway tore apart. The final drive was leaking behind sprocket so I have everything out of hydraulic side and have the first set of planetary gears out. How do I remove the next set of gears and split the unit to replace the seal?
A Serial Number would help in identifying exactly what you have. There are 9 different models of 259D out there.
Cat0259DTFTL03250
Machine S/N FTL03250 was actually built in November 2014. It may not actually have been sold until 2015 though. The system shows that particular Serial Number is a 2-speed machine. Is that correct.? Attached is the procedure to disassemble & assemble a 2-spd drive motor. The complete motor/final drive assembly will need removing from the machine in order to completely disassemble because access is required from both sides. The last step (41) is to remove the Duo-Cone seal that is leaking. Replacing Duo-Cone seals is an art form in itself if you don't have the seal installation tooling. If you need any help I can probably find you a link to another thread here on HEF that would help.
Thanks Nige I am stuck on step 35 I can’t get the gears to come out. I pulled the retaining clips and got nowhere. I guess I’ll try a gear puller tomorrow.