OK I did a search found nothing on this topic... I have a 13 259b3 w/ 1000hrs on it just started having issues with my coolant over filling the overflow container, so far Ive refilled my rad and put it back to work for about 45 minutes and I noticed it started to fill back up again and the rad indicator level showing low again, first thing that came to mind was my head gasket so I checked my oil level its good with no coolant I checked the coolant for oil its ok and running it doesnt show any signs of burning coolant. Any ideas on what it could be ive just bought a new rad cap gonna try that first but could it be my thermostat stuck closed ??? and could someone tell me which way the coolant flows left to right or right to left i noticed it was hotter on the right side but I thought it flows right to left.. over heating light has not come on once OR???? do i have a nasty air lock and what have you done to fix it thanks in advance
Could be a bad radiator cap, you could have a blown head gasket and not swap fluids. Run with the cap loose and see if it continues to push coolant out. If you have a coolant tester you can see what pressure the cap pops at. If it's filling the overflow there's excessive pressure from somewhere. Like you mentioned it could have an air pocket but unless it's been low recently I wouldn't expect it to have developed one. Is the pressure cap on the radiator itself or the overflow reservoir have the pressure cap?
I would get machine to operating temp, with cap off, put a load on it, (go into hydraulic relief), then with cap off, fill rad to top and see if it makes air. It's a sealed system, any air is most likely combustion gas. Double check with one of those kits available at auto parts stores that checks for combustion gas in coolant. If leak is minor, may not raise temps, may not burn coolant or put coolant into oil. If thermostat was stuck closed, would over heat very quickly. Would figure this out sooner than later, if it is head gasket, continuing to run it could ruin head.
Check the cap, with a cap tester, then try this kit: https://www.amazon.com/UVIEW-560000-Combustion-Leak-Tester/dp/B000NPDL76
the radiator itself has a pressured cap, it could have been low i never check the indicator on the side of the radiator i just check the reservoir stupid me.
ok thanks for the info I appreciate it
Chances are its the headgasket. Pretty common failure with those little Cat engines. We have had more than a few fail. Exact symptoms you describe (rad level indicator low, coolant tank overflowing). The gasket seems to errode between the cylinder(s) and the coolant passage to the head. You can try a combustion gas test and see if you're getting gasses into the cooling system. Edit: Never found any coolant in the oil either with the failures we had.
Ok thanks for The help guys ,