Hi all, The machine has around 2,000 hours on it. Runs fine for 3-4 hours, then I notice it gradually starts losing power. When I give it full throttle it starts sputtering, and won't run well at more than about half throttle. Puffs of white smoke from the exhaust. Not using oil, but coolant was low today when I checked. I think the white smoke had a slight bluish tint to it, but that could be me - it was getting dark and I was looking through the rear plexiglass. It just came back from the Cat dealer for this same issue. Dealer initially said nothing was wrong, then found a slight amount of glycol in the oil, so they changed the head gasket. Any ideas?
If it’s still acting up you need to take it back to the dealer. They didn’t get the issue corrected
I have seen those symptoms when engine was starved for fuel...partially plugged fuel filter or partially plugged fuel sump hose in tank
You need to figure out if the coolant is going down, or if it was never full to start with. Then take it back to the dealer, or figure out the fuel issue.
Sounds like a head gasket to me.
I'm going to try replacing the fuel filter first. I believe it's just about brand new though.
I agree. Just trying to save myself from a full day of loading the machine, driving it to the dealer, and letting it sit for a month.
I'd suspect it's sucking air somewhere, if it takes a few hours to really warm up and start acting up. Or, it's overheating and will go downhill fast.
Mark and disconnect all fuel lines from separator head. Unplug priming motor. Remove filter. Dismount assembly from machine. Unscrew ring at arrow, and lift priming pump off. Now, remove all debris and crud, and, absolutely ensure that the inlet from the tank is not restricted. If you find debris and restrictions, install a 3972 inline screen between tank and separator.
I'll give it a shot this weekend, thank you!
So I gave this a shot this morning. I didn’t see any debris anywhere - everything looked pretty clean. I started the machine again, and it didn’t seem any better at first, but after idling a while, and revving the engine, the issue seemed to clear up and I was able to use the machine for about 2 hours. Then it started to lose power again. It idles fine, but sputters and runs rough when trying to rev it up. It doesn’t blow white smoke when idling, only when revving higher. Feels like a gas motor that’s flooded/bogged down with fuel. I don’t believe it has lost any coolant since I checked it this morning. Smoke doesn’t smell sweet to me, but then again I don’t have the best sense of smell. Anyway, any ideas? Injectors maybe? Fuel pump?
If it worked around 2 hours with no problems then started acting up then TBH injectors would be right at the bottom of my list of potential problems. Have you tried blowing compressed air through the fuel line in the reverse direction from the inlet connection at the fuel filter back to the fuel tank.? Have you tired draining any water and sediment that might be present in the fuel tank.? You are aware I hope that draining the cr@p from the tank is supposed to be done weekly.? If you haven't done either of the above then they would be my next suggestion of things to try.
Do as Nige says and change the fuel filter..
I just jumped back on the machine after letting it sit for a few hours and it runs perfectly. I’ll try to drain the fuel tank and work my way from there. What’s the best way to drain and flush the fuel tank? It looks like it’s located at the bottom of the machine.
Is this any help.?
Edit: Apologies, Nige beat me by a few minutes
Yes, thank you! I think I located the plug. Where did you find that PDF? Owner’s manual? I need to order one for this machine so I don’t have to keep relying on kind folks like yourself.
Give me a Serial Number and I’ll show you how to download a pdf copy of the Operation & Maintenance (aka O&M) Manual. You can have it in maximum 5 minutes.
Serial number is YYZ03203
If you want a pdf version @$69, go to - https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears click on Continue as Guest. Type SEBU8495 in the box and click Search. The illustration below should appear.
There is this one (also a genuine Cat manual) on CD @$49 + $5.75 S&H. Either would work - your call. https://www.ebay.com/itm/304263818883?hash=item46d7896e83:g:HGwAAOSw2I1huQP7
Thanks for the link to the manual! I just downloaded a copy. Should help a lot! I drained the fuel tank and flushed it several times with clean fuel. Nothing really came out other than some metal crud that was magnetized to the plug. I was expecting a lot more. Anyway, I believe the tank is relatively clean. I also removed the fuel filter and priming motor assembly and cleaned everything again. The fuel filter is brand new. I did notice the o-ring under the priming motor is a bit stretched and doesn't fit snuggly in the seat. Would that be worth replacing? Could be letting some air into the fuel system? Does anyone have a part number?
If the O-Ring appears stretched then you should replace it. It seems as though there is a kit of seals for the filter/pump assembly rather than a single Part Number.
28869 is the Stanadyne number. I can't recall if it's in that Cat kit.
If not, it's in the Deere RE516553 kit.
I confirmed it's included in the Cat kit and got it ordered. Hopefully, it does the trick. Here's a photo of the old o-ring. You can see how stretched out it is.
That existing O-ring is not only stretched, it's damaged as well. I've never been into one of these personally. Is the original O-Ring supposed to be blue or black in colour.? If the answer is black then what you have there is most likely the wrong O-Ring.
I suppose it could be a blue Oring. But. IIRC, it sits atop the protusion, not next to it.
Thought so.
I knew I had one here... This one has a different insert as it didn't have the electric pump, but, you can see the profile and placement of the Oring.
And, why I suggested teardown and adding a 3972 Napa inline screen filter between it and the tank.
Just got my new FM100 assemblies in. I thought, and now I know, the upper seal tends to be a nearly square profile. I use these to replace any screen only type water separators, as the screen only units are no longer effective. Ever since the reduction of sulphur in the fuel (circa 2007, IIRC), water now stays suspended in the fuel, rather than dropping out.
Well, I got the seal kit from the dealer, and none of the o-rings are the same size as the blue one I'm trying to replace (see photo). Any other place I can find this thing?
If Deere is too far away, it's also in the 121-4480 seal kit from Caterpillar. It'll be an Oring, not square cut, but it's the right one. I gave the Deere number above, with picture. You most likely bought the 128-8614, which only services the bowl assembly.
The cap and ring under the arrow are NOT used when a priming pump is installed, nor is the "volume plug", the white item under the "X".
The John Deere dealer is actually much closer than the Cat dealer, so I'll pick up the RE516553 kit from them.
And, once you're back together, if it's like my 248b, the pump doesn't come on at key on. To prime, it needs to have the key hit the "crank" position. IIRC, turn the key to "crank", and let it back to run, WHILE the seat bar is down.
Is the fuel tank venting? 3-4 hours would pull quite a vacuum on the tank. If it’s acting up still pull the cap off to check if it’s suctioned on
304-3885 is the fuel cap. I don't see a rebuild kit for it, and, it appears to be vented, but I cannot confirm.
I normally turn the key to Run, which causes the pump to cycle for 4-5 seconds. Once it stops, I turn the key to Start and it cranks up. It won't do anything unless the lap bar is down.
I'll check this next time it acts up, thanks!
Lap bar down and momentarily turn key to crank, then let go, back to run, and the priming pump will run continuous.
I finally got the o-ring from the John Deere dealer and replaced it. New fuel filter, fuel tank drained and cleaned, etc. The white smoke cleared up and the machine seems to be running fine now. I won't know for sure if it's actually fixed until I run it a few days. Thanks to @Nige and @heymccall for helping me out with this!