Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 299D2 power loss

bchand220 · 2022-02-05 14:39

Yea our 2018 299D2 will work fine for a minute or 2 but then we started working it this morning and it will lose engine RPMs and power almost to a stall. Example today was working a pile of loose dirt and go to spin or scoop and it will lose RPMs fast. It works fine until this happens. Cranks up fine. We can kill it, wait a minute and restart, and it will Work again for a minute. No active codes. Only thing that popped up this morning was a yellow message that said, “3361-5 ACU, catalyst dosing unit current below normal”. Has a full tank of def. and yesterday I ran this machine wide open just traveling down a road for prob 20-30mins with no probs. Any suggestions? Thanks, BC

Replies14
  1. #1Nige2022-02-05 15:09

    The fact that the DEF tank is full is not relevant. Is it new DEF fluid or has it been in there a while.? It might be worth flushing the DEF tank but you have to be very careful, all flushing has to be done with distilled water. Here's the troubleshooting procedure

  2. #2heymccall2022-02-05 15:24

    Just couldn't share a serial number? I picked BY4. Assuming the fuel filters have been recently changed, either the water bowl oring is missing, or the separator housing inlet is plugged.

  3. #3bchand2202022-02-05 16:53

    So I just ran the machine myself. I was going off what operator was telling me. It’s actually reducing RPMs slowly to the point where it gets sluggish. I started out 2500rpms and within minutes it was only getting to about 1900-2000 with the throttle maxed out.

  4. #4bchand2202022-02-05 16:55
  5. #5Nige2022-02-05 18:11

    As HMC asked above, have the fuel filters been serviced recently.? Has anyone tried running it with the fuel cap off as a test.?

  6. #6BigWrench552022-02-05 19:29

    This needs to be addressed first. This is likely what is derating the engine. From the sounds of it you are in the first stage of derate. If you keep going without fixing it then it will go into full derate and it will take E.T. to get it out of derate. How many hours are on this machine and what is the date of manufacturer? If it is less then 5 years old and under 7000 hours ( I think) then all emissions equipment is under warranty. You will need the software to diagnose the dosing unit. I'm not sure if that code is referring to the def injector or the pump, but E.T. is needed to diagnose them.

  7. #7bchand2202022-02-05 22:49

    1585 hrs on machine. I ordered it and received it new in Sept of 2018

  8. #8Nige2022-02-06 09:09

    So all the emissions system components are still under warranty. If you eliminate the possibility of a fuel supply issue (need to know if the filters have been changed recently or not) then your first step should be to contact your dealer IMO.

  9. #9bchand2202022-02-06 09:12

    Fuel filters have been changed around 150hrs ago.

  10. #10Nige2022-02-06 09:34

    Book change is 500 hours so provided that you are draining water & sediment from the fuel tank and from the filter/separator on a regular basis the filters ought not to be plugged. However the fuel quality/cleanliness has a major impact in filter life. As a last throw of the dice before you call the dealer. Make the machine act up in the way it was doing previously and then stop it and take a quick look inside one of the fuel filters. Is it full of fuel, right to the brim, or is it only part full.? If full of fuel, call your dealer. If part full, change filters & drain the tank of water, etc, then see where that gets you.

  11. #11bchand2202022-02-06 18:50

    Just checked. The primary filter is full, and the small inline filter is about half full. It was this way before I cranked it for the first time today. It will run great until I ran it this afternoon and main filter was full and in-line was about 1/2 full. It was same before cranked it also. Something else, it took 3 min to act up, so I killed it for 5 mins or so, then ran it for 20+ mins wide open and it never acted up. I killed machine, recranked for a couple more minutes wide open and it was ok. I tried working it and trying to get it to mess up but it wouldn’t

  12. #12Mbar2022-02-12 07:07

    Tank full of trash. Blow back through the line. If it has the square transfer pump with the clear filter attached. Put a dry filter on and turn the key on to see if it is working they are know piece last of junk and cat recommends not filling filter so you will find a bad transfer pump. If it’s going into derate it should be screaming at you. It should feel like half throttle not bogging down

  13. #13fultsie2025-06-15 14:12

    Hello all, I'm a newbie to construction equipment and REALLY appreciate all I've learned from this awesome resource, thank you all! I've reviewed the troubleshooting (thank you Nige and others) and need to access the DEF injector, wiring harness, DCU, etc. After searching and searching, I can't find a good R&R procedure. This thing is just so packed full of "stuff" I don't want to remove more than necessary. The 3361-5 code had been intermittent, not presenting any operational issues. As it occurred more often, the RPM would go to WOT, but then gradually drop down. The RPM dropping senario gradually got worse and the code now remains active all the time. I've cleared it on the graphic panel with no effect. Now it will start and idle, but not go beyond 200 RPM above idle so she won't move. I do have Cat ET and all the manuals. When I connect ET, it will connect to only 3 ECM's. The fuel supply from the transfer pump to the water separator/filter to the relief valve is just fine. I've not yet checked to see if the relief valve is stuck open (if that's even possible) I have a few questions that would really help me out: 1) What is the best way to access these components? 2) Is it possible I've already clogged the DPF? 3) Why would the RPM gradually drop, is it derating itself? Wouldn't there be another code indicating derate? 4) I'm evaluating just deleting the emissions equipment, especially if the DEF injector solenoid is dead. Is the "sensor emulator" or "re-flashing" approach the way to go? 5) How difficult is it to access the DPF for cleaning or replacing with a straight pipe? Many and much thanks, I hope to payback the help as I learn more about these impressive (but complex) machines!......Steve

  14. #14fultsie2025-06-15 14:15

    CAT 299D2 XHP 2018 Low Power with code 3361-5 S/N DX202954 ​