Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 259D crankshaft position sensor issue

Rustbox F700 · 2025-02-18 18:06

I am currently chasing a 636-2 code on this 259D, which position sensor is which on this engine? I have no access to schematics. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2025-02-18 18:26

    A Serial Number is required to identify the appropriate schematic.

  2. #2Rustbox F7002025-02-18 18:27

    FTL10557 is the serial number

  3. #3Nige2025-02-18 22:17

    The attached should be of some assistance. Be aware that wires are known to break inside the engine harnesses on these particular engines.

  4. #4Frank Face2025-03-02 09:38

    Hello I'm new to this forum. I have a 259D with the same problem. Code 636-8 my serial # is FTL22035 will your attachments be the same for mine? thanks JPM

  5. #5Nige2025-03-02 10:22

    They will.

  6. #6Rustbox F7002025-03-03 10:24

    Just repaired mine, it turned out to be a damaged engine harness that was rubbed through in multiple places. Replaced harness and codes have not come back. Thank you.

  7. #7Nige2025-03-03 11:02

    Do you have any photos showing the locations of where your engine harness was rubbed through.? It could be a great assistance to other posters to show them where to look, and for what.

  8. #8Rustbox F7002025-03-03 14:00

    I have the harness still, I will take some photos and post them when I get a sec. I did not take photos of it in the machine, I will try to do that next time I make repairs.

  9. #9Nige2025-03-03 14:04

    Thank you. Much appreciated. It's always good to be able to show people where to look for harness damage on this particular engine model. At this point it seems as though a new poster comes along almost every day with either a 636-2/723-2 for the cam/crank sensors or an E459-2 Event for the CAN Datalink..

  10. #10Simon C2025-03-03 14:24

    Sometimes the harnesses are loose in a holding clip and wearing out, other times a tywrap installed too tight can damage a wire, worst is a tiny rock getting inside the loom and wearing a hole right through. Not sure if there is just way more of these D series machines or a real factory oversight. Simon C

  11. #11Frank Face2025-03-04 17:21

    That’s great information. Thank you I will post what I find out when I get back next week and check it out.