Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 440 fuel injection pump solenoid

JSevy · 2025-02-18 14:26

Is there a trick to replacing the fuel shut off solenoid on a 2006 Case 440? I can't get the machine to start, so the cab is down and the access is tight. Any helpful tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies13
  1. #1thepumpguysc2025-02-18 15:17

    The solenoid is actually metric.. BUT a 15/16 box end wrench works good.. Go get u a spare at the pawnshop for $1.00 and grind the box end so it will fit around the solenoid. There’s to much metal around the box end.. Once u break it loose, u can get it out with your fingers..

  2. #2Vetech632025-02-18 15:32

    Use one of those HF wrenches if your going to grind on it.

  3. #3alrman2025-02-18 15:53

    Your big problem is raising the cabin to gain access to check what is going on. Is the machine cranking & not firing? Is it not cranking? Have you checked all the fuses? Have you another machine, forklift, excavator, crane that you can use to raise the loader frame?

  4. #4JSevy2025-02-18 16:46

    Thanks everyone. I believe it is a 24mm. I like the box wrench idea. I will have to look for a 90 degree one. It's awful tight in there with the cab down. The machine is cranking fine, and sounds like it wants to start. It just started shutting down periodically and now won't start at all. I have checked & changed all of my filters and I am now hoping it is the fuel shutoff solenoid that has gone bad. Trying to troubleshoot all of the affordable fixes first. Any other suggestions on what might be causing the issue would be great. Thanks again!

  5. #5thepumpguysc2025-02-18 18:53

    If it has an electric supply pump, can u hear it running when you turn the key on.? If u have one and no u can’t hear it running.. check the fuse box.. If it’s a mechanical supply pump, loosen the line going into the inj pump and crank the engine to see if it’s squirting fuel (or air) Good luck

  6. #6thepumpguysc2025-02-18 18:56

    Looks like it’s gonna b a mechanical pump.. Pull your dip stick to rule out fuel in the oil..

  7. #7Simon C2025-02-18 19:40

    Follow the" pumpguysc " and you will get it figured out. He has helped many. Simon C

  8. #8bad Tom2025-02-19 09:45

    I looked at my 440 and the injection pump is out in the open, easy to get to. Take the plate off of the side of the cab (if you have not done that yet) and there it is.

  9. #9JSevy2025-02-19 11:40

    Thanks everyone. I have pulled the side panel off, and can also verify no fuel in the oil. The top (fuel sending?) solenoid is getting 12v but I don't hear the audible click when the ignition is turned over. I pulled the lower solenoid and bench tested it and it appears to be working but only has 1.4v is the lower (shut off?) solenoid supposed be getting 12v at start up or shut down? I have checked all of the fuses and they are good. Could it be a bad relay...?

  10. #10thepumpguysc2025-02-19 14:32

    The lower solenoid is for cold starting only.. it will only activate when its necessary..

  11. #11JSevy2025-02-19 15:40

    That makes sense. Thanks again pump guy! I appreciate the insight.

  12. #12thepumpguysc2025-02-19 16:13

    Just run a “hot wire” to the shut off solenoid and touch it on top, with your other hand/fingers on the body.. u should be able to feel the solenoid plunger pulling up.. Ur not gonna hear that one operating.. U have a Bosch VE pump, correct.??

  13. #13JSevy2025-02-19 16:28

    I am not sure what pump I have to be honest. I will take some pictures when I get back down to the property this weekend, to see if I can identify it. Hopefully I will be able to tell if the solenoid is good by feeling it. If not maybe I can remove the solenoid as well with the cut box wrench and then I could bench test it. Thanks again!