Bought a 259d from an auction (its become a hobby). I have CAT ET (2023a). It is showing 'DPF Regen Inhibited Due to Permanent System Lockout'. I see no method to fix this. I have no diagnostic codes present on the engine, although there is one for the cellular antenna. Soot Loading shows 100% From reading this forum, I understand that you're supposed to run a regen before sending the DPF in for service. A manual regen does not work (From Cat ET), I think because of the perm system lockout. I am not prompted for anything with the regen request (some of the youtube videos show this for trucks). Suggestions? Part of me wants to reset the service intervals as if the DPF is toast anyway, I don't think I can hurt it, but I come here begging for a suggestion or 7.
Take a screenshot of Active Events and Codes. Manual activation of the particulate filter regeneration is started in the Service menu.
Please quote a Serial Number. I’m assuming your copy of ET is a Customer version. Is that correct.?
FTL13507 - Was using a dealer level software. I took a couple more pictures last night, will not be able to post screenshot of codes until this evening.
Rather than photos/screen grabs I suggest that you download a Product Status Report in Adobe pdf using ET, then post that up. If you haven’t done that before there are videos on YT showing how to do it.
Agreed, thank you! Here is that output.
3701-0 (DPF Status: High - Most Severe): This code is present when the engine is in “DPF Service Required”. At this level a regeneration cannot be performed. The DPF must be removed, cleaned, and inspected. In addition, the DPF soot load reset must be performed with ET. DPF Service Required - A regeneration cannot be performed. - Remove, clean, and inspect the DPF. Refer to Special Instruction, REHS7788 After passing the inspection, or replacing the DPF, perform a DPF Soot Load Reset and then a Manual Regeneration through Cat (ET) After you need to do a DPF Soot Load Reset. Select "Service" from the top menu. Select “DPF Soot Load Reset”.
After all of the above, you need to perform Manual DPF Regeneration. Connect to Cat ET. Select the Service tab. Select “Manual DPF Regeneration”. 4. In order to do a manual regeneration the following conditions must be met: Note: For Mini Hydraulic Excavators, the hydraulic lockout lever must be raised. Parking brake engaged Hydraulic Lockout engaged Engine is at low idle Coolant Temperature is greater than 65° C (149° F) After selecting the reset button, the ECM will take about 2 minutes to begin the regeneration. When the regeneration starts, the engine rpm will increase. Note: There is no minimum soot load percentage for a manual regeneration be performed. Note: It is normal for the soot load percentage to drop down as low as the single digits just before it completes. Then once it completes the soot load percentage will increase up to the mid to upper twenties. Refer to General Information “Regeneration Levels of the Diesel Particulate filter for more details. ” Note: The “DPF Performance” status screen will display the DPF regeneration status as “Active Regeneration”. The “DPF Performance II” status screen will show the progress of the regeneration as a percentage under DPF performance progress. The percentage will start at 0% and go up to 90%. 100% will never be visible, instead once completed it will change back to 0%. At the same time the Regeneration Level changes to “Regeneration Not Needed”.
So is it ok that before removal to NOT run the REGEN? I read in here else ware that you should run the regen prior to removal.
You yourself wrote in the first post that manual regeneration does not start in CAT ET. Try to start, if regeneration starts, it will start. Before that, try to do DPF Soot Load Reset. I was able to do this without removing and cleaning the DPF, although on a different engine.
AFAIK you can't run a regen when the system has locked out the way yours has. The "by the book" fix is to remove and clean the DPF, or replace it, then reset the soot load. Another comment. Your 723-2 & 723-8 Logged Codes for #2 engine speed sensor could well be an engine wiring harness starting to fail. We've had a couple of cases where broken wires were found, obviously this was after the point where the Code became permanently Active but what you have right now could be leading up to that.
This is how it cleared: 1. Set Machine to Maintenance Mode 'On' in Machine ECU 2. Reset the Soot Level and DPF Regen Timer (in Engine ECU) 3. Run Active Regen (it triggered) - At this point ET still showed that it was locked out 4. Regen completed, soot level showed 4g, DPF showed 20% - At this point, the code for DPF High was still there, machine still audibly alarming. 5. Set Machine to Maintenance Mode 'Off' in Machine ECU 6. Shut Down Machine 7. On Startup, all codes were cleared, locked was gone, and life was good.