Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 259D engine code…where to start

Rob99 ยท 2022-11-11 06:14

Howdy..bought a 2014ish Cat 259D about a year ago. Only minor issues until yesterday. The machine started running rough then code 523 and 524-2 (engine injector and cylinder) came on. Since they came on at the same time it leads me to believe sensor or wiring issue. I immediately stopped the machine and went to lunch/research the code to no avail. When I came back I looked around in the engine bay ...pushed on some connection, looked for broken wires etc and restarted the machine. This time I got 636-8 engine position sensor. Not sure where to start looking at this point so please help a newbie out! Serial # ftl01670 Thx!

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2022-11-11 06:41

    It is 2014. Built 12th May. Attached are a list of DTCs and a troubleshooting procedure for the 636-8. Are the 523-2 & 524-2 Codes still there or have they disappeared.? I'll send you an electrical schematic. You are probalby going to need it.

  2. #2Rob992022-11-11 06:55

    Thx Nige, unfortunately the machine is deep in the woods where I was clearing some brush and of course it decided to start raining last night. I was thinking this was a speed sensor issue. Ill keep the post updated as I troubleshoot.

  3. #3Rob992022-11-11 07:00

    Ugh..just realized the first code I got was 523524-2 . I'm not sure if it is still active though. That points to "injector solenoid test". Before I trek back through the woods do you have that test in case the code is still active?

  4. #4Nige2022-11-11 07:27

    Here you go.

  5. #5Rob992022-11-14 18:43

    Well wouldn't you know it. In starting one of the above speed test I noticed the camshaft sensor harness was broken and barely attached. Plugged it in and 3 hours of running later no codes. I'm hoping this was it and not an intermittent issue that's waiting to come back later on down the road. Thx for the help. Until next time....