Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 259d low voltage

Dustin Sayer · 2019-08-15 09:23

I keep getting a low voltage message on machine replaced the battery message went away for couple days than came back, tested the battery it was good so replaced the alternator and voltage went back up to around 14.2v for about 2 days now its dropping below 11v with the error message and wont stop beeping but starts and runs fine

Replies7
  1. #1mg23612019-08-16 04:30

    Welcome to HEF Dustin ! Lots of good CAT guys here and they will be along shortly to help out. They will need a serial number so please supply one.

  2. #2DIYDAVE2019-08-16 06:26

    I'd check all connections, and double check the battery with a load tester, even new batteries, can be bad, right outta the box...

  3. #3ianjoub2019-08-16 08:56

    Check the battery cables as well. They will deteriorate over time.

  4. #4Blt1062023-04-04 18:39

    What ended up being your problem? I’ve got the same thing going on.

  5. #5Zewnten2023-04-04 20:48

    Use battery disconnect, if the issue persists load test battery. If not; look for a light staying on or something not fully shutting down.

  6. #6Kaptain0072024-05-01 23:22

    I am also having the "Low System Voltage" issue with my CAT 299D2. I don't know what exactly went wrong, but I guess most likely the alternator. So I bought a generic replacement one from Amazon and will see if the message goes away after replacing ther alternator (CAT part# 377-6966)

  7. #7Kaptain0072024-05-07 21:44

    Newly ordered alternator has arrived, after taken out old one and putting in the new one, the low voltage warning message is gone.