Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 259d. Metal in oil filter?

chris allen · 2019-10-05 20:01

We have a machine that started a overnight rattle to the top end, machine has the kubota/ cat c3.3 engine with the particulate filter an high pressure fuel rail, Sounds like loose valve train, Checked over head adjustment an all was in specs, ran the loader around the shop several days an tryed to make out what was going on, took engine oil filter off an cut open an there’s small metal chips in filter, so I went ahead an pulled motor out An though maybe the timeing gears possibly were comeing apart (like I’ve seen on other motors) well didn’t see any damaged gears, so we pulled oil pan off an didn’t find any issues there. Rod bearings, main bearings, even pulled over head off looked over valve train, Hadn’t pulled head off yet, Pulled cam shaft out , still found nuthin. We’re the heck is the damages at

Replies5
  1. #1Gchartrand2019-10-26 08:11

    Sorry to hear about you engine problems, that's never interesting. What was your oil drain interval and how many hrs on the machine?

  2. #2chris allen2019-10-28 19:28

    Well machine was took to local cat dealership in town, they pulled the oil filter off an said they found metal in it, they wanted to pull motor an exchange with new, customer didn’t wanta go that route with out second opinion, so I was brought

  3. #3chris allen2019-10-28 19:37

    So it was brought to me an I ran the machine several days an it sounded like overhead noises, I checked overhead an all was in specs, I cut open the filter that cat put on it an I didn’t find any metal, Well I looked in cab behind seat an found old filter that cat cut open, Sure nuff there were small metal fragments in it, Looked like small cast steel pieces bout the size of black pepper. So after finding the old filter I went an pulled engine out an dropped oil pan off hoping to find something, Well I didn’t see any glitter nor debris in pan, pulled rod an main bearings an all looked normal . Machine prob has round 2600 ballpark area, I’m dead in the water with it, Not sure it the high press fuel pump trying to come apart?

  4. #4Nige2019-10-29 06:13

    Has anyone run an oil sample on it to see if any of the "normal" metals (or silicon) is obviously out of whack..? For $30 or so the analysis results could give a lot of information.

  5. #5chris allen2019-10-29 19:56

    Well I use to work the local cat dealer here in town, what they did was heard it rattlein lil bit on top of motor an said it was knocking internally an removed oil filter an said yup , motor needs to be pulled an replaced with one of there remains that’s already been threw an ready to go, An no I’m sure they didn’t do a oil sample at the time , they cut filter open an said there’s the metal, An after I started looking over the issues after it was brought to me my thoughts were the overhead needed checked, But never found anything outta wack, nor did I find any metal outta the filter that cat put on , an after I pulled motor from the skid steer an removed oil pan everything looked great. Could it be the high pressure fuel pump slowly destroying itself? Debris in filter don’t look like bearing remains. More like cast iron fragments from somewhere, But oil pan was clean an no glitter in bottom