Hi, Everyone, got a cat 262 skid steer, trying to drain the coolant from system. but can not find the drainage plug, any idea about it? I am sure it is cat 3304 engine.
Also seems the air filter housing is not the original one. But I put Some pvc fitting to put it together. Will it be a problem?
When in doubt, pull the lower hose off the water pump, you'll get most of it. I would replace the other hose, it looks a bit ragged. Air filter setup is probably fine as long as there are no places air can leak into the connections.
It won’t be a 3304. It could be a cat 3.4 depending on serial number.
The radiator doesn't have a drain plug. The coolant drain is on the side of the block. You will see a small valve with a black hose, or not. The hose might be gone. The valve might be gone, too. Might just have a pipe plug.
Thanks Lantraxco and Coaldust. Got coolant out from lower hose of water pump and refilled. Running good now. Oneside of water pump i found a plug with bare wire, what is that for?kind of heater or tempresure sensor?
Not 100% sure. Obviously it must be the engine temperature sending unit. Does the temp gauge work?
Negative. Attched is the Left and right side control panels. parking and seat belt light work good. Never see light on others. Fuel guage is Working for sure.
Norman123, Must be for the engine temperature indicator lamp. Does the engine temperature indicator light come on when all the other lights do, during the self test when the key is first turned on? Nevertheless, I bet if you dig around, you will find the other end of the broken wiring harness.
Some light ondicator loghts wasnot on while self test, i will dig around to troubleshoot.
Norman, maybe your best investment in this project would be an Operation & Maintenance Manual. Post a Serial Number and I can walk you through the process to download one from Cat. It will be priced around $50.
I bought both parts manual and sevice manual. Got lots of help for what I want but still have some problems to find some answers. Like can not get info for coolant drainage. But will dig into the manual to find answers. Thanks
Does your serivce manual have electrical and hydraulic schematics included.? If it is genuine, in paper form, & complete it should also have an O&M Manual that I mentioned above as one of the sections. In view of your question about draining coolant I'm assuming that it doesn't because the O&MM has the procedure - copy attached.
Looks like I dont have the right manual. LOL. PDF CATERPILLAR 262 SKID STEER LOADER SERVICE REPAIR MANUAL CED.pdf is what I got. Guess I need to go ahead to get the O&MM manual. Thank, that help me a lot.
Got a Serial Number, or are the last 8 digits of your S/N CEDxxxxx..? If yes, you are looking for SEBU7468. It costs $49 to download a genuine pdf of that manual from Cat. Do you have the schematics I asked about above..? The link is a genuine Service Manual for your machine. RENR4830 is the publication reference number. The same thing is available on CD for $365. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RENR4830-N...er-Loader-Repair-Service-Manual-/311885409472
Thanks nige. The sn is ced02810. Already bought a part manual vol1&vol2. also sevice repair manual. Guess need to go ahead to get a OMM manual.
For an O&MM, go to - https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears click on "Continue as Guest" Type SEBU7468 in the box and click search. You should see the illustration below. Paper or CD versions will attract S&H charges on top of the price.
It looks to me like your air filter is out of a D series. This is what it should look like. If you have no air leaks, I don't see why your setup won't work OK.
Thanks. Downloaded one. very helpful.
thanks. Can not find the filter housing part number that I have, hopefully I will buy the right air filter when I need to change.
One more question, by reading the manual, i found on the left side of the engine, the tube have been removed and caped on top of the valve, would it be a problem?
Pull the element(s) out and get some Part Nuimbers from them. We can then probably cross-reference them to Cat Part Numbers or "will-fits". Only if you ever need to lower the lift arms for whatever reason and can''t start the engine. EDIT: I wonder why it was removed in the first place.? No reason that I can think of off the top of my head.
I have the twin to that machine, the engine is a 3034T. I replaced the engine in mine bought it as a basket case.
Found the number for filter. Suppose have two filters in it?small one inside a bigger one? Usd 2 buckets of 32 hydraulic oil from walmart to test hydraulic when I first got the machine. so far hydraulic is running Ok except some small leak from control valve. Do I need to drain it to get some new hydraulic oil?
Found thread to drain hydraulic system. HeavyEquipmentForums Ganna get hydraulic oil out today.
Rather than a P/N in the air filter housing, what was the P/N on the element you removed..? TBH the inside of that air filter housing doesn’t look like any Cat one I’ve ever seen.
I used a pvc 90 to connect the air filter housing, and all other parts to the engine intake ordered from cat. Air filter number is 300043023. when I got the machine,The air filter housing was in cab.
I think that air filter housing is off a reefer engine. It should be OK but my personal choice would be to buy the genuine parts and put it back to original.
Thanks for the information. put it back original is already at my list
You might find used parts a bit hard to come by. The most common reason for parting out this type of machine seems to be engine compartment fires. Also a good reason to get yours clean and keep it that way.
heard about grapple bucket welded to quick connect? Any idea to cut it back to normal quick connect?
Yes. Keep it clean. That's what I did a few days ago. Got a pile of dirt /grease/trash Out of it.
Have you been under the cab floor (where the electreonic control lives) yet..?
Yes. I got floor panel pulled and changed throttle cable. Got all dirty stuff out under seat and floor. I am double the former owner ever cleaned this a 15+ years old machine.