Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 262B Block Heater

rshackleford ยท 2011-01-10 16:27

i am looking for a block heater for my Cat 262b. Cat wants $200 for there and i don't want to spend that much. anyone else have a suggestion? cat part number 218-0942

Replies16
  1. #1rshackleford2011-01-10 17:23

    i think the cat 3044c engine is actually a Mitsubishi 804C-T or a S4S-DT. can anyone confirm that?

  2. #2xcmark2011-01-10 17:51

    http://www.jjebheaters.com/products.htm#caterpillar I just put one of these kits in my JCB that has a Perkins/Cat motor. I also have a 1 1/4" freeze plug kit that I did not use that is made by Zero start. the zero start kit is worth $36.00 for at 500 wat heater but is not nearly as nice or as compleat of a kit as the Jebs. Let me know if the zero start kit fits yours I will sell it cheap! the kit I have is #3100045 , its 600 watts. http://www.zerostart.com/coldStart/engine_block_heaters.asp

  3. #3rshackleford2011-01-10 18:30

    my shop guys says the hole is 1 9/16" but that just doesn't match up with your stuff or any of the stuff i have found.

  4. #4rshackleford2011-01-10 19:11

    or is it a perkins?

  5. #5rshackleford2011-01-10 19:35

    i bought a zero start 3100049. the guys are trying it out right now to see if it fits. this is for a 40 mm hole which is pretty close to 1 9/16".

  6. #6xcmark2011-01-10 20:15

    it maybe a 1 1/2" kit I cant recall. the part number is correct , its in the original package still . The Jeb kit had a higher watt rating and I only plug it in for 20~30 mins just to get it to start . Not all night like some owner do, thats why zerostart has lower rateing.

  7. #7thebig450es2011-01-11 01:44

    How about something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Kats-24500-Watt-Universal-Heater/dp/B000I8TQF4

  8. #8xcmark2011-01-11 06:53

    I have one of these installed on the bottom of the oil pan, it gets so hot I am worried that it may start a fire if there is leaves or pine needles in the belly pan. I only will plug it in if I am standing next to the machine......scary HOT , like 400*+! I dont suggest any one run one of these heater for more then a hour, heating oil that hot will cause some sluge build up in the oil pan. Motor oil only want to see a peak temp of 240*~260* any hotter and your asking for a problem.

  9. #9rshackleford2011-01-11 08:59

    this plug did not work. i am told it was still too small. we are now going to a traditional frost plug application.

  10. #10rshackleford2011-01-11 09:03

    we are putting one of those on the hydraulic reservoir.

  11. #11rshackleford2011-01-11 10:24

    when the engine compartment is opened the letters S4S-D are cast into the top of the engine head. we installed frost plug Zero Start 3100016.

  12. #12Digdeep2011-01-11 10:32

    It is a Mitsubishi engine.

  13. #13rshackleford2011-01-12 11:56

    we got a 500 watt Kat's heat pad. It was way too hot! Also the hydraulic reservoir was plastic.

  14. #14rshackleford2011-02-23 16:48

    The Zero Start 3100016 might not work. They keep pushing out from water pressure at full throttle. Does this sound possible?

  15. #15xcmark2011-02-26 10:27

    start with checking the radiator cap pressure setting. the heater may not have been the correct size or it my not be tight, they use a expanding wing on the inside of the block to hold it in.

  16. #16rshackleford2011-03-01 16:09

    that heater worked on one skid steer and not the other. we replaced the frost plug and used a hose type heater. the guys call it a peculator type.