Cat 262d s/n DTB01929 does NOT move in any direction. The boom DOES lift and tilt. What are some common causes? I’ve reveiwed the hydro and electric schematics somewhat. It appears this machine is a “drive by wire” and doesn’t have actual hydraulic pilot controls. It seems the LH Jiysric has an X and Y axis that is an INPUT to the ECU, with the pumps electric pilot valves/Swash valves being the ECU Output. I have not yet connected with Cat ET. I have not yet checked for codes. I am curious is there a “hydraulic lock solenoid”, or valve, that must be activated to get movement? Remember the boom (RH Joystick) works fine. What conditions the machines ability to move? Lapbar? Operator in Seat? Parking brake disabled? Etc? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
It has the advanced monitor? Any warning lamps?
I have not connected software. I have not checked for codes. I will as soon as I get to the site. It may have advanced monitor but I do not know as of yet.
That is correct. For the implement system yes, for the drive system no. There is a park brake solenoid hanging off the hydrostatic pump. That's it pretty much. If the park brake releases (light goes out) those systems are working correctly. Any other problems are determined by what codes are present. If it's speed sensor related, cycle the battery disconnect switch (or disconnect the battery for a few minutes) and try again. Machine will move a short distance then stop again with codes. If it doesn't have the advanced display you're screwed without Cat ET.
Thanks for the reply. Great information. I do have Cat ET.
Download a Product Status Report from ET and post it up.
Th Thanks. I will do just that. It may be few days before I get to it though.
This just in from the owner: Parking brake light does NOT go off when switch is depressed. I WILL scan with ET but my thoughts are to check Parking brake switch and input wiring, check parking brake solenoid and output wiring, check OPERATOR IN SEAT switch and input wiring. It will still be a couple days before I get to the site. *edit: lap bar input seems to work as engine won’t crank without it and boom locks when lap bar input goes away :edit2 red “hydro” icon goes off when Park Brake switch is pressed and release. Edit3: there is a flashing yellow icon in a diamond shape with exclamation, and also a yellow engne light on. I will look those up when I get to the desk.
Try not to over think this. Don't go in with tools flying until you have INFORMATION to work with. Hook up ET, download a PSR in Adobe pdf format, and look what you have for Active Codes/Events.
I hear you. Thank you. I have some time on my hands today while I wait for my kids. I never stop thinking, specifically about skid steers. Just thinking out loud.
The machine in question doesn't have the Advanced Display, therefore those lights tell you pretty much nothing. In this case only ET is going to provide the key to unlock the diagnostics. If you have time on your hands take a look at THIS . It may give you some assistance.
Thank you!
When a speed sensor issue is detected, the park brake will NOT release. There is no way that I'd look at the park circuit or switch first.
First I would run report, then cycle battery to see if it moves briefly as suggested prior, then trouble shoot suspected based on available codes, if no codes then check I/O as described. I’m convinced the park switch is fine. I do however suspect the “ass in seat” switch.
X and Y axis of LH joystick has "VOLTAGE ABOVE NORMAL". I have visually checked the wiring, done a wiggle test with the software live and have seen no changes. I am going to replace the joystick base 456-1068. Thoughts?
The PSR is unreadable. You must have downloaded it in the default CSV/XML format instead of the optional pdf format. Did you watch the video I linked earlier.? Specifically from 6:10 onwards. It's unusual to have both X & Y axis foobarbed FMI 03 at the same time. Normally it's one or the other not both. The likelihood is that something in the power supply or ground (external to the base) is the problem, although the possibility that it is in the joystick base does exist. See attached.
Base has B+ and B- at appropriate pins. Yes I watched the video which specifically says “once the report opens it has already been saved”. In this case it SAVED ITSELF as an XML file. This file type is NOT upload-able to this forum. So I zipped it. You can UNZIP it and view it in Microsoft Edge.
I can unzip it but trying to open it in Edge just gives a blank screen. I know the file automatically saves on the ET folder of the laptop as an XML file but if you watch the video from the 6:00 mark it shows how to additionally save a copy as a pdf file, for instance if you want to send it to someone via email. There is a "Save As" button on the ET screen. Try going right through the two procedures I posted above and see what that throws up. Thing is a new base costs major $$$ and IMHO it would be somewhat of a shame to fit one then find that it was not the cause of the problem.
Out of curiosity are those procedures in SIS or Component Based Troubleshooting?
They are in SIS and also in the troubleshooting section of the Service Manual.