Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 265 J105-3 code

M16 · 2025-12-15 15:55

I have an almost new Cat 365 with roughly 65 hours on it. It is showing code J 105-3 (Intake Manifold Temp Fault Service. Is this something that needs to be fixed immediately or can I run it a while before taking it in? I have about 20 more hours of work needing to be completed first but don’t want to damage my machine.

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2025-12-15 17:09

    This Code is for circuit of the Inlet Manifold Temperature sensor either open or shorted to batt+. Why not inform your dealer and have them come out to the machine.? It's under warranty, let them come to you and fix it. An experienced tech with all the necessary diagnostic tools shouldn't take too long to figure out whether it is a failed sensor or a wiring fault.

  2. #2M162025-12-15 17:22

    My dealer is 110 miles away. I doubt if they will come out for free to fix a warranty issue. It is 8.00 a mile for a service charge.

  3. #3Nige2025-12-15 17:37

    If you have a multimeter you can probably have a go at diagnosing it yourself. Post a machine Serial Number. You're going to need the correct electrical schematic for your particular machine plus the relevant diagnostic procedure. EDIT: Here's a quick test you can do. Locate the inlet air temperature sensor and unplug it. Then connect a short length of wire as a jumper between the two terminals of the machine harness connector for the sensor. If the Diagnostic Code on your Display screen changes from 105-3 to 105-4 then the sensor is bad.

  4. #4M162025-12-15 21:11

    Thanks. Does it hurts to run it another 20 hours if it’s bad?

  5. #5Nige2025-12-15 21:51

    I've tried and failed to find any information on exactly what effect the inlet air temp sensor not working will have on the engine electronic strategy. Sorry about that. If you can prove by the test I posted above that the sensor is bad you should be able to get one from the dealer under warranty. Have them ship it to you.

  6. #6M162025-12-15 22:16

    I’ll give it a try. Thank you very much for the information!