I am looking at a Cat 267B CTL with 1200 hours on it, in good condition, with an asking price of $22500. Obviously if I buy it I will have a mechanic good through it with a fine tooth comb and have a friend who works for Cat who is going to pull all the maintenance and service records. Assuming those come back as expected, how does that price sound? It looks good compared to what I see on machinerytrader.com but I have been told those prices are grossly inflated. The only issue the machine has is that the rubber tracks are chewed up. Allegedly, the undercarriage is in great shape but they used it almost exclusively on asphalt and so he says they have beat up the rubber pretty well. How much do a new set of rubber tracks cost?
Any thoughts on this one? I would really appreciate some input!
If you have a friend in Cat, give him a call. Have the serial number ready when you call though.
I am sending him that information but always enjoy having a 3rd party opinion. He is a "friend" in that I know him and he is willing to help but not so much of a friend that I am absolutely sure he is looking out for me instead of his boss! I will always take all the opinions I can get!
A 267 is more a MTL, not considered a CTL. The difference is in the undercarriage. This machine uses the ASV style undercarriage, which gives great flotation, great ride, better traction. In the wrong hands your cost per hour will exceed a D8 cat. This is a quote from an honest Cat salesman a while back. A CTL has metal sprockets, tracks with metal lugs, steel rollers, all make for a much tougher platform. Cat CTLs end with the number 9, 259, 279etc. I have owned both, even at the same time. Now, I am strictly ASV. I mostly do fine grading, and light to medium excavation. Anything more and I would get a CTL.
I'm a 267B owner, baby it and you'll be happy - drive it keeping in mind that ASV undercarriage was an afterthought of a 262; avoid turning on a dime and packing the tread system with gravel or clay.. *** Less resilient than most, but it has its benefits - Until a recent minor problem I've been happy with mine; Ride comfort and performance is a level far beyond most MTL's - My takeuchi TL150 will rattle your tailbone loose in a day.
I have a 267B as well.... the above post about it costing as much as a D8 to operate isn't too far from the truth. Mine runs in crushed aggregate and it really takes its toll on the undercarriage. I've had to replace the seal in the cooling fan,, replace the throttle cable... had the tilt cylinder's machine to accept bushings. Replaced the Hyd. cooler ( internal leak). Various bearings in the undercarriage. The drive bushings on the sprocket wears. As far as cost, I have bought two complete new undercarriage's for it complete sets,, just hook the hose's up..... I paid 10k for a set,, and 8k for a complete set so do some shopping b4 buying. The important thing to look at on the rubber track is not the face, but the rubber drive lugs inside. Check for cracking in this area. They will take out a whole strip of drive lugs at times. With all that said we demo'd a new one and the operator preferred this one... Hope this helps a tad.... Grandpa.
grandpa, I can't figure out why you'd run one of these in crushed aggregate instead of a wheeled machine. That stuff has to eat these lightweight undercarriages. I bought one new and put 1200 hours on it in black dirt putting yard dirt in and the UC wasn't in great shape. We even pressure washed the UC every day(or nearly every day). They sure ride good though. That's part of the reason that I sold mine.