I have a 1996 bobcat 863. The axle seals are worn and need to be replaced. I've taken off the hydraulic motor and I'm wondering what is the best way to remove and replace the seal. Looks to be around five or 6 inches in diameter.
Welcome to HEF tomagregg. :drinkup I don't have the manual for the 863, but if it's like other Bobcat models, and all you need to do replace the axle seals, then there's no need to remove the drive motors. You simply remove the big hex bolt on the outside of the wheel hub, remove the hub, then you can pluck out the axle seal and fit a new one. Keep in mind that hub/axle connection is a tapered shaft, they can be on there snug.
Sorry, I had my terminology wrong. It's the motor carrier seal that needs replacing. Chain case has been filling up with hydraulic fluid from the plastic reservoir. My manual shows a slide hammer being used to pull the seal. I've got that. What I don't have is the seal alignment tool and seal driver. Does anybody have any suggestions?
theres no easy way to install those seals, and not have them leak without the proper tools. :drinkup
I got the motor carrier seals out. The side that was leaking had the inside of the seal worn away until it put a hole through the metal. Whomever installed that seal prior to me owning the machine must have installed it too deep. It must have been rubbing on the circlip. I checked on the price of that special seal driver and alignment tool at the bobcat dealer when I went to get parts. Shocking, they were about $700 to $800 for the pair. I guess I'm going to have to make up my own tool out of PVC pipe. Does anybody rent these tools through the mail. I did that for my timing belt gauge last year. If I install it using the PVC pipe driver how do I make sure it doesn't go into far? It doesn't really have a shoulder for the seal to seat on. The manual says install the seal until the sealed driver bottoms out, not the seal.
we "occasionally " will loan out special tools. we require credit card with an available balance to cover the replacement cost of the tool in case it's not returned. might try asking your local dealer if they would do the same for you :drinkup
Or just bite the bullet and pay for a service call, have the dealer mechanic install the seal. When we did engine overhauls we would pay the Deere or CAT tech to come out and press in the main seals as they had the special tooling. Usually an hour plus travel, of course we were only twenty minutes from either dealership then.
The nearest dealer from here is an hour and a half each direction
Inquire from the dealer if they have a scheduled trip in your direction and then maybe you can split the mileage.