We have a Cat 272D ser# CAT0272DEMD200596 that needs the DEF tank flushed. We seem to be running into this on a few of our skidsteers this winter. I'm not sure how to remove the tank heater unit. It has no screws in the top holding it down. It appears like it would unscrew, but I hate to attempt this unless I'm sure of the proper procedure and any special tool needed to not break it. If anyone could come up with the procedure it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Take a look at this thread. There is another thread (your original one actually) linked within it that you also want to have a look at. HeavyEquipmentForums Plus see attachment.
Yes I printed this procedure last night. What I don't have is the procedure manual for removing the heater assembly. Does it unscrew, or what? There are no screws in it holding it on to the tank. We have a white layer sitting in the bottom so I need to flush it.
I'll look around but iif the procedure exists it's well hidden. I thought you were taking it to the dealer because the DEF system parts side was covered under warranty.? EDIT: from the looks of the "teeth" under the flange in the photo in that procedure I attached above it looks like the assembly twists a few degrees to get it on and off.
I am taking our 299D2 to the dealer under warranty, however this is another machine that is just past warranty. It's a 272D which has the same type of heater assembly in it. Thanks for the pic. I will try that this afternoon. With the amount of sediment I see in the bottom of the tank, this should be a regularly used procedure. We are doing it on all our machines.
Pulled the tank last night. The heater unit does just turn a quarter turn to be released. Very easy if you follow directions you sent me Nige. We flushed the tank and filled it with fresh DEF fluid. The skidsteer ran great for five minutes and then the code came back and so did derate. We let the system drain back until the amber light goes out at the power switch several times, and each time when we started back up we had the same results. Last night we drove it up to the dealer and dropped it off. Only code was the same for regent concentration. Time wise we are still under warranty, but just past the hours limit by a hundred hours. We're hoping the dealer might cut us a little slack. I'll let you know how this one turns out also. Then the 299D2 goes there for warranty work for the same issue.
Took the 272D to the dealer, and they said needs a new heater unit. Going to be about 3K, but no way around it. Now they just have to find one because they are scarce. No break on the hours for warranty. Took the 299D2 to them also last night. It's under emissions warranty, so if it needs one they will just order two at the same time. Also took the Bobcat in the other direction to the bobcat dealer for the same problem. I'm hoping that unit just needs to be cleared of it's code.
Got both cats fixed One for $3K, the other warranty. Both needed new DEF heaters. The Bobcat needed both Nox sensors. Found used ones cheap on Ebay. They work fine. Glad we are done with that for awhile.
If I didn't get satisfaction from the dealer I'd be going over his head to the local Cat Rep and questioning the decision. If the machine was only 100 hours past a 3000 hour warranty limit they ought to come up with some sort of support IMHO. In the past it used to be known as a "Policy Settlement" but now is called "Goodwill" I think. Basically it revolves round the premise that "the customer has not received fair value for his purchase".
And some good will cases are split three ways. Where you the dealer and factory, pay a third of the repair and parts. 100 hours past warranty and they wouldn't work with you. Especially with known pain in the *** teir4 emissions system. I wouldn't get off the phone until they gave me the part and thrown in a hat. I would send a email directly to mother cat asking for help on that.
F'kin A. TBH if I was the customer I'd be initially asking for 50% of the invoice cost in the form of support (don't care who it came from, Cat or dealer, or both) and be prepared to settle for a third. Either one would be better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
Problem with three way split is that the customer's share is at retail while the dealer and factory are at their cost. Komatsu covers emissions at 100% in this territory.