Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 272D3 – DPF Removal

Atmonauti · 2026-01-17 20:53

Hey all, I’ve been researching and getting conflicting info. I have a CAT 272D3 with the C3.8 that needs a DPF cleaning or replacement. Some say it’s easier to pull the motor and do it while others say it can be done in place. I was looking at it today and the workable space is extremely tight. I lifted the cab expecting to be able to access it from the firewall but was met with a boat load of hydraulic lines and pumps. The realistic approach seems to be to pull the panel above the motor with the radiator and work on it basically sitting on the head. If anyone has done this before, any insight to save me the pain and suffering would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies5
  1. #1HeavyTech2026-01-19 08:01

    I don't believe you need to pull the engine out, I haven't done on that model but have on 259 299 and others. Removing the panel in front of dpf and most likely the radiators to give you more room

  2. #2Simon C2026-01-20 13:45

    I believe that 92U 3406 has posted a few times of having done without pulling engine. I have not looked for his post but remember him having done it. All I know is that Dealers are charging big dollars to do it and a competent fellow could do it himself with care and cleanliness while disconnecting a lot of hoses no doubt. Think he said he pulled the firewall out but don't quote me on that. Maybe send him a PM and he can give a few pointers. Simon C

  3. #3Welder Dave2026-01-21 02:53

    Could try searching in the archives on here.

  4. #4Acoals2026-01-22 16:10

    If it has more than 3000 hours or so, you are better off pulling the engine and replacing the plastic drive coupler while you are at it. When that drive coupler goes the machine is dead wherever it sits.

  5. #5Simon C2026-01-22 16:31

    If it has that many hours I think your plan would kill two birds with one stone. Simon C