I'm brand new to machinery .. bought a CAT 277B with 2600 hours to get some things done around the property. Machine starts and runs as usual, door closed, arm bar down, and I can operate the boom and bucket normally. Cant go forward. I picked the front end of the machine up and let it down a few times and was able to move about 10' and now nothing. The right side seems to want to go, but the left doesn't seem like it wants to. Could the parking brake be hanging up or not disengaging somehow? I seem to remember hearing an audible noise, almost like a single heavy click when I took it off before and now I hear nothing. Any help would be appreciated being that the machine is stuck in the softest part of my yard haha. Tested parking brake switch today down to the ECM and got 3 ohms. Right side track seems like it really wants to go but won't. I either think the parking brake is still stuck on, or maybe something happened inside the left final drive. Put 12v to both right and left stick and the parking brake solenoid, and can hear/feel it clicking with the parking brake switch. Admittedly, it feels weak, and being my first piece of equipment, im hoping im doing the right things here. Tomorrow im going to run 12v to the right and left stick solenoid, and to the parking brake solenoid and see what happens. If nothing else i can get it to somewhere easier to work on it.. if it moves. Also, without jumping the solenoids that are under the boots for the controls get hot...travel control worse than tool control.. and ideas? Also i can swear at one point when it was running if i was going forward and turning the reverse beeper would sound.. Sorry for the long post but i posted it in the wrong forum and just copied what i was saying with no responses. MDH 03236
So today after looking all over the machine... we found some metal pieces in the space between what i believe is the final drive and the hub.. going to try and reference a parts manual online to try and find out what's in there
Try posting a Serial Number then maybe we can help you get hold of some parts illustrations.
Bottom of first post MDH03236 Here’s the “extra pieces” I found ..
Does this help..?
This is a breakdown of Ref #5. I wonder if you have a bearing breaking up in here..?
This is a breakdown of Ref #7
And this is #10, the motor.
Ouch. So out loud and in front of the world I’m going to say I don’t know where to go now. Is the final spent or what’s the next step?
Your photo doesn't give a lot of context, but as a WAG is it the area indicated by the red arrow below.?
Yeah. That’s exactly where it is.
Final drive off and dig into it time then ........ The attached may help. If you need parts listings please ask.
Decided to just buy a new final.. Russel at Texas Final Drive was excellent to work with. Ordered on Monday and shipper says it should show up tomorrow.
For future reference keep an eye on those outer drive cage bearings. Those finals will not last long with that bearing out. With no support on the end of the cage it puts all of the stress onto the bearings in the final and they are not designed to hold the full forces applied while in use
So gentlemen, it was absolutely the final drive. Got it going and she did great for about 2 hours.. .. sent a message to my salesman. I have less than 100 hours (somewhere around 50-60 if I remember right) and I notice an oil slick under the machine. Open up the engine and I see this in all its glory. Pretty sure the ol’ girl is dead in the water again.