Can anyone help me with understanding what a step pump is and how it would de rate the motor into limp mode on a 299d3 without throwing a code? I’ve been having nightmares with this new machine from one problem to the next and now I’m told it’s the step pump and it “MIGHT” be covered under warranty. This is a 2020 with 72 hours on it so I’m getting concerned with my CAT
With 72 hours and a 2020 machine, the only thing you wouldn't be covered for is if you broke it somehow.
I’m not sure how you break a hydraulic pump unless it was damaged when the hydraulic line fell off last week and pumped all the oil out of it. I hate to talk negatively about CAT but they have some serious quality control issues now. If anyone knows what a step pump is I’d honestly like to know,
Are you sure they said "step pump"? I know what a stepper motor is, and it would make sense, since it controls the throttle. A 2020, with 72 hrs, I would look to them to fix it, unless you dropped it off a truck.
Charge pump maybe? What caused the hyd. line to fall off? 72 hours and might be covered by warranty? Get the dealer to fix it or give you another machine ASAP. Sounds like they never did the pre delivery inspection (PDI). It's an expensive machine so don't mess with it yourself.
On other forums owners are getting out of them PDQ. Seems they are junk.
He said step pump and I asked again and he repeated himself so I’m really confused as to what he actually meant. But I did take it in and they supposedly fixed it “It Was In Limp Mode” drove 35 miles back only to unload it to go 10 feet and it was still in limp mode so I return it again and then I’m told about the step pump. Who knows, all I know is I’m getting frustrated and tired of wasting my time and money. The hose came loose from under the cab somewhere and leaked the oil out so I had to fill it back up with $240 worth of oil to load it onto the trailer and my oil leaked out on the way to the shop so even tho they fixed the hose I was out $240 that I didn’t recoup and they didn’t even wash the 20 gallons of oil mess from under the cab which I never complained about I just spent half a day cleaning it up. I’m not sure of the long term outcome of this machine but I’m getting very close to saying it’s my last CAT product which I’m certain they could care less about. Side note I didn’t mention it loosing power while loading a trailer and having to remove the back glass to get out of the thing and it breaking costing another $300. Turns out the battery cable was loose, fun fun times
And you bought new so you wouldn't have to work on it.... I'd be making it their problem, one way or another
A loose hose under the cab on a new machine from Cat no less? If it pumped the hyd. oil out could have potentially damaged something. I'd want the money for the oil back and be on their case for a new replacement machine. I'd go to Cat cooperate if the dealer won't step up to the plate. I'm not sure what the machine cost but I'd guess not too far from 100K. Loose battery cables and hoses, I'd stop all payments and demand a replacement machine with a proper PDI. This is worse than a severely abused used machine with a Dupont overhaul.
An owner on another forum has just posted his machine has done 52 hours in a year. It's spent most of it's life in the workshop and they have given him a loaner. IMO if Caterpillar was proper they should have replaced it or given him his money back.
I’m going to see what happens Monday and make a decision as to how ticked off I’m going to get finally get. Am I out of line to be upset?
Hell NO.
You're not out of line to want a different machine or your money back! It's not a $500 beater you bought. GF bought what supposed to be a premium used car from a dealer. Wanted to go on about a 400 mile trip so took it in to have some thought to be minor issues looked at. They said everything was fine and not to worry. She got about 40 minutes out of town and stranded on the side of the road. Had to get a tow truck and the driver was more than happy to oblige where she wanted it dropped off... right in front of the main doors to the dealership so they had to move it before they could even open the doors. Try to be nice and see what they'll do. If that doesn't work raise cain.
No sir it wasn’t suppose to be a beater, turns out to be a 110k turd I wish I’d never seen lol
110K, WOW! Get a new machine or cancel the deal!!! What are they going to do, sue you for their own incompetence? No excuse for sending a new machine out with loose hoses and battery cables.
I doubt CAT will swap you out with what has been written so far, maybe if the pump thing goes completely sideways that would help. Unfortunately sometimes regardless of how much you pay, and who makes it, things happen and the product isn't what the buyer or the OEM had hoped it would be. Clearly the machine wasn't right when it left the factory and perhaps the PDI wasn't thorough enough to catch some of that. This is/was an opportunity for the dealer to make themselves look very good, and done right you likely would never buy from anywhere else again (because in a ****** situation they had your back). Doesn't sound like they are taking advantage of that chance to prove themselves. Too bad for everyone. Couple things I would try and negotiate: Swap the machine out: Sure, why not try, kudos if that can happen but I think you will need a longer laundry list to see that through. More realistically, I would make Cat or the dealer back your machine with a substantial bumper to bucket warranty. Zero deductible, and a loaner machine of equal size while repairs are made. Depending on how hard you want to drive the deal, the pickups and drop offs take time and money from you, I would consider that asstax as well, and decide what its worth. If there are other machines in a similar situation, CAT may have a problem with production of these new machines. Now days an OEM cant keep those things a secret. Maybe they will do something for all those who bought these early production machines and are having problems. History would say they wont, but who knows. The last thing I would say is $110K for a 299D3 seems like an awful lot of money. I totally see why your pissed, hopefully your dealer does as well.
Maybe if they fix it and give a free extended warranty. They should be completely steam cleaning it as well. Who knows if any damage was done when it pumped the hyd. oil out. If other machines also have problems maybe the lemon law applies? That's a lot of money to be having problems with quality control issues from the get go. If I read right I think the OP has some other Cat machines as well so seems like the dealer would want to keep him as a customer. Even with 1 machine the dealer should want to keep a customer happy. If the dealer won't do anything by all means contact Cat directly. It certainly helped in the most infamous thread ever on this forum.
Ok so it’s not adding up.... When was the machine bought ? (Month and year please). if it’s under 1 year and and not abuse , neglect or Operator damage it will warranty. Not sure all the confusion. If I spent 110G I’d know my warranty and what’s covered. If not go into the local the dealer and get more details. Saying a 2020 Cat step motor is not covered is not doing justice.
What’s not adding up? It was purchased at the end of 19 and never left my shop due to an injury the day after purchasing it until 3 weeks ago and it’s been a turd ever since. I know very well what the warranty is, matter of fact I bought an extended warranty as well as a service plan where they will come to me to service the machine on site since the dealer is 60 miles away. The service manager told me the step pump not the step motor might be under warranty, not sure what the lack of conviction is but I’m going by what I was told.
I think what big ben is referring to is... WHY ISN'T THE DEALER FIXING YOUR BRAND NEW MACHINE 110K MACHINE? Unless you drove over a nail and got a flat tire pretty much everything else should be covered by warranty. GET ON THEIR CASE!
Maybe they always say "maybe it will be covered" as a catch all to keep them from promising coverage when the warranty may have expired or not apply. That is certainly not the case on this machine. I doubt very much that this wont be covered. The more aggravating aspect I think is the list of initial issues with the machine. Since you already bought an extended warranty adding more may not be that helpful, depending on how long you keep it. Perhaps they would refund the money spent on the additional coverage, and CAT would pickup the additional coverage themselves, but giving direct money back seems really hard for an OEM to do.
It’s supposedly ready and I’m going to pick it up tomorrow so I’ll see how this goes I guess.
Make sure it's completely cleaned of all the oil before you take it.
Honestly I don’t expect CAT to do anything to help me out and that’s ok I guess however———They had better give me a 100% functioning and clean machine though. I’m pretty easy to get along with and understand things happen but enough is enough. I don’t have time to keep dealing with this mess nor the patience, I’ll update after I get some answers
It's not OK if the dealer and/or Cat doesn't give you the equivalent of a brand new machine fully cleaned with everything gone over with a fine tooth comb. A little oil left in the belly pan a few leaves or branches and you've got potential to burn the machine up. They should be bending over backwards to help you.
Just in case you need to get down and dirty there is a class action in progress over the 299 D2 at the mo
Is that concerning seat heaters? Or something else?
Yeah, seat heaters, erupting in flames because of poor wiring quality apparently
I picked it up and he didn’t know what was wrong with it and I wasn’t waiting around to find out. I ran it for a day and it ran fine but I did have to add another $20 gallon of hydraulic oil when I got home which sucks. The days of paying more for a CAT to get the superior service are long gone I guess, this will officially be my last purchase.
Did they clean it or do anything? Make them pay for the oil. You don't have be so nice when they're giving you the run-a-round.
No sir they didn’t clean it nor did I get reimbursed for the oil. I could say what I truly think about the situation but I’m not one to publicly bash anyone so I won’t. I waited a few days before responding to this post so I didn’t vent online but I’m still highly ticked off about this whole situation.
You still have every right to be on their case. If they refuse to do anything contact Cat directly but do it soon. The most infamous thread ever on this forum had a dealer try to cheat a customer out of his machine because they messed up bad and tried to blame the customer. At one point the dealer almost had the customer convinced to pay $4K more and the dealer keeps the machine. Only after repeated prodding from myself and others did the customer contact Cat who had a specialist come out to investigate. Customer agreed to pay slightly more for something that should have been done in the first place but all the work the dealer messed up was repaired and the machine delivered back to the customer with no extra charge other than for other work that should have been done. I think the rad was done which was the extra work. Original work was a very poorly done engine rebuild if I recall. That thread went on forever but in the end the customer got a good running machine. It took about a year and half to resolve if I recall. It's too painful to go back and look at it. LoL
LOL that sounds horrible and I don’t want any part of that. If I had a couple hours to type I’d spill all the beans starting with a 299 burning up last year from the damn seat heater lol that this nightmare machine replaced lol I’ve had hell with CAT but one more issue and not only will I throw them under the bus but I’ll back up a few times.
If this machine was to replace one that burnt up due to a manufacturer problem and now you're having these problems I'd be all over them! Sounds like they don't want to help you. Get them to clean it, reimburse you and make it right. I think one of the things that came out of the infamous thread is that this is a well known forum and the last thing a dealer and/or Cat needs is bad publicity. Nobody wants bad publicity when they're trying to sell machines or service. Someone's looking for a machine and reads of the problems you had with a specific dealer and they might avoid that dealer altogether.
Losing one to a fire from a well established issue and now this, at some point you have to let your purchase dollars speak for you. Its kinda like going back to the same bar where you get punched in the face at every time you show up. Realizing that you have money tied up in this machine , it likely is not as simple as walking away from it sometimes, but when purchase time comes again there are other options, they just dont say CAT on them. No amount of bitching speaks like taking your $110K somewhere else.
Do you recall the title I'd like to take a read of it
D6C loss of oil pressure. Hard to forget. Give yourself about an hour to get through it.
For what it's worth, I too am having issues with my 299D3 2020. From day 1 the unit has had a chatter/stutter in it's hydraulic system which causes it to jerk intermittently and most aggravating the bucket chatters badly when curling. Out of concern I checked the hydraulic fluid and found someone either at the factory or local dealer had filled the hydraulic system to capacity (as if someone had topped off a fuel tank). Needless to say I drained about 4-5 galls out just to get the unit into the "green". However, the chatter has continued for the past 100hrs now and the local CAT service has made 7 attempts to remedy, software updates, 4 hydraulic fluid samples, changed the fluid and filter, and yet the issue persists (this has been gong on since April of this year). Now the regional sales service manager wants to add a friction modifier saying he "is confident" it will fix the problem after being in the system for 20-25 hours. They tell me no harm could have been caused by the hydraulic system being run 20hours with overfilled fluid and no integrity or life of the machine has been compromised. When I as why a new machine would need to have it's fluid have a modifying agent added, they say the fluid from manufacturing is "bulk fluid" and may not have the best "viscosity". I'd love to no why the heck you'd build equipment and put fluid in it that isn't proper spec for it?!? I've told them I'm done having them come out spending hours running the machine trying to solve the issue and burning my time and fuel... not to mention down time. They also leave the machine a complete mess when done with oil spilled all over and drain plugs not tightened, it's a joke. So I (firmly) but politely requested the unit be replaced and now appear to be getting the cold shoulder. There are several other details I could go on about here - but the bottom line is from my experience with CAT purchases (four in the past 5 years) all have had quality issues. Clearly the pre-inspection is a rubber stamp for our local dealership and sounds like for others as well... as no machine has been delivered without issues and oversights. I feel like CAT does a good job with design and engineering but execution of build quality and delivery are terrible at least for CTL's their excavators seem to have far better quality. I'll post back on how this plays out but would appreciate anyones advice on successes they've had getting a unit replaced and who best to raise this to at corporate that might actually do good by the customer and stand behind the CAT brand. How have things worked out for you @ Reuben_Frazier ?
I can’t help you with your issue but to say good luck, the new D3’s have a lot of issues for sure. I’ve had more than my fair share of them. I didn’t realize on mine until recently that the power is down, I ran our 18 D2 and it’s an obvious noticeable difference with it lugging down even on simple change of directions but I’d become use to it until running the older machine. Don’t get me started on the cab noise with the hydraulics humming/screaming under normal driving conditions. CAT in the past has made an outstanding product with great support but they obviously have some serious issues going on now. What model are you running, the XE?
The part I put in red is incredible. I one cant believe a regional sales manager said that, and two the whole thing is ridiculous about adding a modifier. If CAT suggests that solution, then there should be a TSB on it. It sounds like a sales guy talking about things he knows nothing about. CAT is not putting inferior hyd oil in new machines and kicking them out. A CAT rep saying that I think would cause that guy sever issues if CAT Corp. got wind of that. If he could show documentation suggesting that idea, I guess you go with it. However I wouldn't take his word on that without some paperwork, of which I would keep a copy of.
I read on here the bigger Cat loaders had an additive that stops cylinder chatter. I'm guessing that's what the guy is talking about but royally messed up calling out the original oil. Here it is. Might be worth a shot to see if it solves the problem. https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/1U-9891
FYI Cat 1U-9891 is a very common additive on machines with tight cylinder seals or chatter. The sales manager was correct in saying to add it. The part about it not being the correct viscosity is questionable but adding the friction modifier is the correct step for the symptoms described.
Well there is documentation on that, then its good to go, but the same guy that in one breath tells me that the OEM uses the incorrect viscosity oil in my brand new machine from the factory, then says Oh hey put this modifier in and 25 hours it will all be fine.....Sounds like someone selling Amway.
Sounds like the guy had an idea what might work but used the wrong wording. Curious why the service department didn't think of it earlier???
Known in the trade as Snake Oil. There's nothing to be lost in adding it. If it's going to make a difference you will know within an hour.
if you use it don't overdose. it has been known to restrict oil flow through oil coolers just add a little bit at a time and try
KSSS, This might give you some idea. For "Wheel Loader" in the article read "SSL/CTL/MTL". With the hydraulic system being of much lower oil capacity than a wheel loader the quantity of 1U-9891 additive required ought to be much less.
First I want to compliment everyone here on being such a insightful and helpful group, not often one finds such a quick responses and helpful insights so thank you very very much to everyone, it actual makes the situation slightly bearable. So the modifier was added today however I wish I had read these response sooner, as the whole bottle was added per instructions from service. I've now run the 299d3 for about 4+hrs and it seems to be slightly less obnoxious with respect to pump noise however the chatter issue remains (I question why CAT doesn't simply add this 1U-9891 additive during manufacturing if it helps these larger builds). They've requested I run the machine for 20hrs and bring it to them and they will give it a "full system evaluation" and that "Cat has agreed to offer a loaner during this time and support your operations. We can then ensure the additive has properly made its way through the system and evaluate the machine." Thankfully my original salesman stepped in and said they would come pick the unit up and drop off a loaner. When asked what if the additive does not correct the issue, they are unwilling to commit to anything yet. I hesitate to let them take the unit as every time the local service folks touch the machine the results are more issues and a the equipment being a filthy mess... i.e., debris seals knocked off, put on backwards, loose drain plugs, oil spills, and my favorite one finding a tech working on my 306 Mini when he was supposed to be here working on the 299... they don't even know what equipment they are supposed to be working on, it's so bad it's nearly comical, if I didn't have so much invested in this thing, I'd laugh. Hoping they didn't overdue it with the additive and also assuming/hoping this won't effect my brush cutter or other hydraulic attachments? Last thing I need is more problems. Will report back as I run the machine more this weekend to hit my required 20hr running with the CAT miracle oil additive. And Again, thanks everyone for taking the time to offer insights and suggestions my blood pressure is slightly lower now.
If you want to lower your blood pressure a bit more, rest assured that you are not the only one fighting the factory. I've just put together a new loader valued at something in excess of $4 million. There's a thread about it iin the Shop Talk forum. When we were doing the PDI on it we found the engine oil level was too high. It was actually above the joint between the oil pan and the cylinder block. After getting hold of some drawings it turned out the dipstick tube was wrong, it was 4" too long. Factory (not the dealer I hasten to add) response - "you can work it like that while we work on a solution". My answer "Get ***ked. The customer has just paid in excess of $4m for this machine. It has to be right BEFORE it goes to work, not whenever you can find the time to sort out the problem."
A fiurther comment regarding the 1U-9891 Oil Additive. We use it as SOP in all Cat Wheel Loader axles that have inboard brakes, M-Series grader implement hydraulic systems, and all the large off-highway truck suspensions. In each case it is used as an anti-squeak/anti-rattle additive. However in every case it is put there because the maintenance manual for the machine model in question specifies its use.
Appreciate the insights and completely agree while at the same time beside myself that a $4mil piece of equipment can't have basic items properly spec'd and manufactured. It reminds me of the 306 we recently got that came with the wrong size bucket because CAT had labeled all the 12" buckets incorrectly... it only took 2 months for them to investigate and deliver the correct bucket. Of course I had to prove it with the Service and Sales folks which required 2 visits and me showing them with a tape measure how the pins were not the right spacing and wrong width. Prior to that they delivered the wrong machine. Was supposed to be a 306 with the pivot blade but they delivered one with a standard fixed blade. Attention to details seems to be a constant miss. Only makes you wonder, what else under the hood is missed?
I think you underestimate the size of the Cat organisation. This is a screenshot of the about a third of the reworks and other information released in just one week. Even Nige's $4m loader will have to take its place in the queue.
The dipstick tube story gets better ..... "When the issue was first reported the stock of tubes were pulled and checked against print. Originally it was reported that they were all incorrect with measurements between 4" and 6.5" longer than spec. Today the tubes were re-measured on a measurement machine and all were found to correspond to print." My first thought - *** is wrong with this picture...?
Oh I understand CAT is huge... I would just think from a business perspective, you can argue a company may get too large to maintain a focus on the quality customers looks for and expect. If an organization is unable to manage the size and complexity of its operations, it should asses, retool, assure proper accountability and improve its quality assurance testing. I just don't buy the "well because the company is big they should be held to a lower threshold of producing quality products and support because it's too complicated and hard." That to me is a pretty good approach to losing business. It's the same pitfall many automakers have fallen into.
I would think Cat is ISO registered too which is basically supposed to be very high quality control, check, double check and then check again.
One of these measurement machines perhaps? ISO9000 and the like are pretty meaningless. It just means that you you stick to your own internal quality control procedures. It doesn't mean that those procedures have to be any good.
I kind of thought that it's just something that looks good but doesn't mean much. I worked in a shop that got ISO certified but X-rays and other quality was already in place that is more carefully followed.
Scott Adams has a bit to say about ISO9000 https://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=iso+9000
Just thought I'd drop and update in. Put about 14hrs on the 299D3 w/ the "1U-9891" additive and chattering issue still persists.
I'd be wanting a new machine or a free loaner until the problem is properly fixed.
A thought. Can you make a short video of the machine while it's making the noise and then upload it to Youtube.? You could then link it here and everyone else can hear/see the same things that you can standing next to the machine.
The Youtube idea is a good one. Is there a possibility that the chattering issue isn't hyd. related? Could something else be loose?
Good idea yes can def work on getting a video up for all to see. I too have wondered if there could be a possibility the issue is beyond the hydraulics. Given the amount of electronics these newer machines have, could there be an issue with one of the "brains" controlling the hydraulics. I've had other odd issues like the time falling 20mins back and also my "Job Clock" showing me running the machine into the millions of hours with exceptionally good fuel usage ... In reality this should be reading around 26hrs. I just assumed there was a bug that glitched the job clock but at this point anything seems possible. The machine only has 141.3hrs. Maybe this is not the place to ask... but out of curiosity, what's everyones opinion on the strongest competitor/alternative to the CAT 299D3 XE? What would be the best replacement?
For what it’s worth I’m at 203 hours and now mines making a funky hydraulic noise but it’s more of a groan/chattering with an occasional moan. Sounds like a donkey trying to breed a chicken on prom night after drinking Mad Dog. Oh yea my screens acting ignorant as well, guess the donkey n chicken had offspring and it’s living in the display. I’m totally at a loss on this thing, my other CAT’s have never had these types of issues one right after another. I’ve passed the point of pissedness and back to calm which is kinda scarey. I’m scared to death to get to far away from the truck now in fear of it crapping out. Everyone Ive talk to is having tons of problems so I’m betting thr will be another class action suite in CAT’s future. I know it’s currently being discussed,
Sounds like something is amiss at the plant that builds them.
LOL - Love the colorful analogy! I've had similar moaning when loading 4x5 round bales, (arms about 1/2 to 2/3rds) raised the hydraulics sound like someone is letting out a death moan. I will say the additive did quiet the hydraulics some during normal driving operation and that's nice but no reason an additive should be needed in a new machine to have it sound closer to normal. If you haven't yet gotten them to add the additive Reuben, I would request your dealer to provide it for no cost. It has at least softened the pain a bit for me. Totally agree with Welder Dave, the factory clearly has issues... CAT needs major overhaul there. I personally won't be buying another CTL/MTL from CAT (again) anytime soon. CAT dealer contacted me and they want to take the machine and have their specialists "work on it", very open ended with no real specifics on what will be done or how many more hours will be added to the machine. They did offer me an equivalent loaner. I now have to decide, do I let the dealer who couldn't get the pre-delivery right and had techs working on the wrong machines take our 299D3 for an indefinite period of time or just live with the chatter like Reuben is and try to meditate a lot? I too have hit a point of, "well I got screwed"... just going to take my money elsewhere next time. Will work on getting the video to share.
Take them up on their offer! If the noise would have completely disappeared with the additive you'd be happy. Sounds like the dealer and/or Cat is trying to make it right. Now's not the time to get pizzy with them. Give them a chance, their giving you a loaner. If they can't fix it and you like the loaner maybe...
I’ve found beer helps lol. Good luck but I’m under warranty as are you and with any luck whatever’s causing the problem will literally fall off and I’ll address the issue then. It’s a 2 hour round trip for me to go to the shop and I’m not doing that until it won’t go any farther. Time, fuel, and the frustration= NOPE IM OUT...
An hour away is not too bad. Now if you had a large excavator that needed special trailers and permits to move it could be a major PIA. A CTL not so much.
I would take the loaner and leave yours with them in a second. Run their machine any chance you get, if they can't resolve your issue, I would fight for a new unit....plus you'll have have their machine to keep you going...if it has no issues like yours does it only makes your case stronger.
I agree you probably need to let them work on it, you get a loaner so your really not out anything. Doesn't work right now, so unless they make it worse your really not out anything other than mobilizing the machines around (unless CAT will do that for you). I would only say that I would try and keep your thoughts about the machine and CAT in general out of their earshot. Once they know they have forever lost you as a future customer, they may not work as hard trying to make you happy and you really don't want that to happen. If it doesn't work out, trading out soon may be a better option until CAT gets the machine dialed in. I certainly wouldn't take another one. These issues apparently are not one off problems. CAT has some work to do and that is going to take a while before they work through it. Trade before these issues get more publicity. Much like the Kubota 95-2, dealers I know who have had customers try and trade them in wont give them any trade in value because the DEF issues are well known now in those machines.
Another update friends. First I should credit my dealer making good on providing a loaner from their rental fleet (even though it was drenched inside with I'm assuming was 2" of rain water) as well as dropping off and picking up. The 299D3 XE loaner surprisingly has the same exact stuttering issue. I let my dealer know and not sure they were surprised? They said to hold onto the loaner until they can correct the issue on my unit. From a customer service perspective I'd say this goes a long way, not sure where this path is leading though. Trying to stay positive and like Reuben, I find the beer helps at night. I will say the fluid filter change + additive did help as my machine WAS just like this loaner IS. I really hope CAT can find a solution as the machine is a good one. I did shoot a video but it did not turn out well, will try to get another one to share.
Update: Was called and told machine was fixed last week, I've been asked to test prior to delivery... so next Monday I am going to the Dealer (1hr away) to test. Apparently it was a bad flow control valve and the dealer also raised the pressure in my system (I'll get more details on what exactly that means to share back here). If it is in-fact corrected, would likely help be a fix for a lot of other folks 299D3's... I'd venture to guess there must have been a batch of bad flow control valves put into the machines during assembly. I can't imagine I was "lucky" enough to have the same issue on my purchase and also a loaner ... if so I'm going to purchase some lottery tickets. @Rueben-Fraizer Thanks for starting this thread hope my findings might help you down the road too. Will let you know how I make out next week. Thanks again folks... the support, knowledge and advice of you've shared here is H-U-G-E and kept me level-headed through this very time consuming journey.
Keep us posted, mines going in pretty soon for a plethora of things. FYI check any and all bolts, hoses, fittings etc etc. My quick coupler bolts fell out giving me a false positive on hook up causing all kinds of screwedupness. I’ve lost a bunch of bolts after I got to looking and the clamps that hold the hoses up on the rear of the loader arms on both sides are missing. Just a heads up
Maybe I'm just OCD, but isn't looking for loose bolts, leaky hoses, etc, all part of the daily inspection and fluid level check/greasing, etc, every day before startup..?
True but I don’t crawl under it on my back, raise the cab to get inside it nor do I drop the oil pan to check the rod bolts. If it’s not readily available to get to it’s not checked and I’d suspect your the same way. My point was to go out of his way to check everything and yes I’d do all those things now knowing what I know now. Trust me when I say im as OCD as they come about maintenance on thr equipment so I know exactly where your coming from and what you mean.
Gotcha. When you spoke about hose clamps on the lift arms and the QC connection I was thinking you were talking about stuff that was in plain sight.
Well figured I'd follow-up with everyone. Since the repairs the issues with the hydraulics chattering has not returned, I do believe the machine is jumpier now and find myself having to go into "snail" mode for better accuracy but that's to be expected (I feel) in the larger HP CTL's. Of course since the repairs the backup camera has died and A/C stopped working. I am not certain this was a result of the hydraulic repairs or just bad luck and maybe cheap parts? CAT is out for a second time trying to identify the issues and correct hopefully this is isolated to just me but figured I'd share incase anyone else has run into the issue. With respect to the original hydraulic issue, it does seem that CAT had some bad valves and may also cross over into some of their 289D3's, according to my rep. CAT should now be aware of this faulty part and if you're running into the issue of chattering in your hydraulics, get them to fix it and add the Hydro-Fluid additive.
Would that be the same Anti-Chatter Additive that they use in brakes.? Can you ask for a part number.? I suspect it will be 1U-9891.
Not so sure Cat would identify a faulty part and repair other customers machines after reading they cleared a code to get a machine delivered to a customer. The new 150 grader down thread is pretty eye opening. A CTL is more likely to be an owner/ operator machine and it being down could have devastating effects for an O/O.
A new feature coming to light on these machines, some are stripping the timing gears. On another forum one bloke is on his 4th engine in 1200 hours.
The 299 seems to be a real problem child for Cat.
Yes Nige, it is 1U-9891 fluid.
TBH we put that additive in all hydraulic systems on all new machines at time of assembly and leave it there until the oil is changed at (for us) 2000 operating hours. For a machine the size of a 299 that change would probably be time-based, say 1 year from date of commissioning.
Would the Cat additive be good to put in any hyd. system?
I would only use it on a new or rebuilt system where the components might still be a bit tight, just to reduce/eliminate chatter or vibration. Once the high spots have worn off this eliminating the chatter. At that point it’s a waste of money IMO.