I just picked up a 2005 Cat 277b yesterday. Today I took it off the trailer and tried moving a small pile of dirt. It died with the arms up and bucket in full dump just off the ground. I turned the key off and on, and got nothing. Tried moving every lever, pushing every button and switch. Nothing happens. Had to pull out the back window and crawl out. Acted like the battery was disconnected. I checked the battery and main breaker, have power through the breaker. That is as far as I got. I haven't even had the time to find a fuse block. Any ideas where to start looking would be great. I had to leave, so I'm doing as much research as I can so I know where to start looking when I get home. I've read that some have anti-theft programming that only allows them to run at certain times, but then the horn works and nothing else. My horn doesn't work, but I hadn't tried it before it died either, it could just not work. Any ideas of where to start checking? Can anyone tell me where the fuses/relays/ or computer is located on it?
Hi, You haven't given a serial number .if it is a B series the fuse panel is under the panel under the front of the seat. Fuse number 23 with the key symbol supplies power to the key switch. I would check here first If it is a B3 series the panel is to the right of the operators seat Mark
Thank you. That would have been very helpful if I'd have checked my e-mail and seen your answer first. I finally found an operator's and maintenance manual which gave me the location of the fuse panel before I got home. Rechecked power outside, and then checked the fuses. First one was blown, you're correct the key switch fuse. Replaced it, power came on, started, and immediataly blew the new fuse. I pulled on every harness around the engine I could, trying to make sure nothing was shorting out, and tried again. It ran and I got it down off the dirt pile and into the shop. Now to start chasing a ground short. If anyone has a wiring diagram that would show me where to start checking, that would be a world of help. If you know where I can buy a good PDF service, parts, and wiring manual, I would be very happy.
here try this on think its ok with out serial number
Don't know about the older B's but we've had a ton of issues on C's and D's with the electric fuel lift pump seizing up. In the case of those machines, it'll take out one or two fuses. The Cat fuel pumps are junk so we've been buying inline pumps from Napa. They last a lot longer.
Serial # MHD01949 That diagram looks like it has what I need. Thank you very much. Now just need to start tracing.
Well, got one problem fixed, and another problem comes to light. Feels like I got an expensive paper weight at the moment. I found the main engine wiring harness rubbed through above the starter. Pulled it out and repaired the 5 wires that were rubbed through, put it back fully protected from future problems. Had the cab up, and checked everything over very well. Other than being packed with crap, it all looked good. So I pulled it out and gave it a good pressure washing. Started it up, and let it run a few minutes. Went to pull it back into the shop, since it was suppose to drop below freezing (and 1-3" of snow tonight, and when I looked this morning it said 3-5" of snow tomorrow), and it died. Still had electronics, and would crank, but not start. Fought with it, charged the battery, and continued to fight. While I was washing it, the temp dropped below freezing, and it started to rain. Finally got it to run long enough to get it back into the shop, with a layer of ice on it. Opened everything up and turned the heat in the shop back on. Hopefully it will dry out and work again right. Hopefully I just got something wet that shouldn't have gotten wet, and when it dries out it will work great again. I have only worked on a dozen pieces of equipment, but it seems to me that it shouldn't die that easy. As a med/heavy truck tech, I know that I can get everything outside a truck cab wet, and it won't stop the truck. It would have taken a bit longer to find the shorts without the diagram. Thank you. Hopefully I will be able to find the new problem as easy, but hopefully it won't take quite so much time to get it fixed. By the way, when the Ign fuse blows, nothing works, absolutely nothing, so if you have the arms up a little, then you're trapped in the cab, and must remove the back window to get out.
Got it going. Turns out it was my fault, sort of. The cold start solenoid and engine stop solenoid have the same plug, and I got them switched when I put the harness back in. That explains why it would start after cooling down, then die. Yes the fuel pump was working, but that is good to know. Thank you. I fixed the stuck throttle pedal assembly. Replaced the throttle cable. Cleaned it all up. Tested it out, it is a beast in the mud. Worked well enough for me to get stuck. Twice. I seem to have to find my limits the hard way, and it does have limits.