Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 277B front door glass

Mitch O ยท 2014-12-12 17:52

Any place I can go and get a replacement window for my skid steer? It's pretty scratched and when the sun hits it at the right angle it's hard to see out of.

Replies6
  1. #13X82014-12-12 18:41

    Maybe buy a piece of Lexan off ebay and cut your own? It cuts really easy with a power saw.

  2. #2mitch5042014-12-12 18:58

    Try local glass places, like the ones that do store fronts. A good one can do Lexan, which scratches but doesn't break, tempered glass, which breaks into a gazillion semi-safe little squares, and laminated glass, like a car windshield. You'll mostly have labor for cutting and installing, the materials are cheap. If you meet one of their service guys at their shop, I'd expect to get out for about $100.

  3. #3mitch5042014-12-12 19:06

    Just something cool. I got to thinking about the difference in Lexan and Plexiglass and found this: http://www.plasticgenius.com/2011/08/plexiglass-vs-lexan-matchup.html after reading that, you might try buffing, or wet sanding it with a very fine (600 or better) abrasive. Btw, good to see you on here, I can sure use your help in the battle against all the non-Mitchs on here.

  4. #4Tags2014-12-12 19:32

    If it's the factory front door I think you'll be stuck going back to Cat. I would try what the "other" Mitch suggested

  5. #5PDG X2014-12-13 09:56

    Depending on the overall condition, I would also suggest you try sanding and polishing first. I bought a machine earlier this year that had a couple of nasty scratches on the door. One was real deep in the line of sight to the bucket. I wet sanded using some 300 then 500 paper to get below the scratches, tapering about 2-3" beyond the scratch. Then cleaned the area real good, and applied a coat of Wipe New - the stuff you see advertised for plastic headlights. It removed the fine sanding marks of the 500 paper. You have to look real hard to tell it was ever scratched.

  6. #6caterpillarmech2014-12-14 07:21

    I'm with Cat and we have a local guy cut our for us. Charges us for glass and install for what Cat wants for the glass most of the time.