Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 277B high/low speed not working

Jfarris · 2011-04-10 10:11

The transmission speed switch is not working. Has anyone had this problem before? Also, who would you recommend for track system parts? I bought new tracks, but need to replace the hard parts. Thanks

Replies15
  1. #1Lee-online2011-04-10 11:49

    Does the indicator for the two speed illuminate? If not i suspect the switch failed or a problem with the wires between the switch and the ECM. To check the switch , unplug the connector under the joystick and check continuity between pin 7 and 10. It should change when you push the switch. I would recommend Cat parts but that is because i am biased.

  2. #2Jfarris2011-04-10 11:56

    Ok I'll try that. It's been awhile since I've been on the machine, but I don't think it illuminates. Thanks for your help in this thread, and the other. Much appreciated!

  3. #3JPM2011-04-11 12:53

    Brand new to the site and don't quite know how to post a question so I am jumping on this one. I have a 2004 Cat 277b and it has no track adjustment tool and I probably wouldn't know what to do with it if I did have one...any suggestions. Need new tracks very badly and might go with some take-offs since it for occasional farm use. I don't have a clue how to tighten or loosen the tracks...this is my first tracked machine or Cat. I have only owned Bobcat wheeled machines.

  4. #4Lee-online2011-04-11 18:17

    1. Loosen the jam nut (4). A 44 mm (1.88 inch) wrench is recommended. 2. Turn the adjuster (3) in order to raise or lower the drive sprocket. A 44 mm (1.88 inch) wrench is recommended. 3. Tighten the jam nut to the following torque 270 ± 40 N·m (199 ± 30 lb ft) with a backup wrench on the Adjuster. Failure to use the backup wrench will result in lower torque or damage to the tensioner. 4. Recheck the track tension.

  5. #5Jaybuild2011-04-12 06:43

    That is the diagram for the 277C I use a chain binder to move the top wheel foward. The owners manual has the procedure.

  6. #6JPM2011-04-12 17:34

    You guys rock! Is the diagram of the tool I'm missing, or is it something that is supposed to be on each side of the machine itself that's missing...or I guess it could be a little different since it's a 277 b. I don't have a manual or those adjustment things in the diagram, but I can see where they would hook. Thanks again!

  7. #7Lee-online2011-04-12 17:56

    Sorry, this is for the B Tool 3 is the special tool, but all you need to do is move the idlers (1) forward so you and put the bolts (2) in the next holes. I'm sure you can find away to jack or come along the idlers out to the next holes without the special tool. Note: If the idler is already in a vertical position it may be necessary to relocate the mounting bolts for the drive frame into the second set of holes that is provided in order to achieve the proper track tension.

  8. #8Jfarris2011-04-12 21:28

    How do you know how much tension you need to put on the tracks?

  9. #9Lee-online2011-04-12 22:39

    Put a straight edge between the adjuster and the final then put 100lb weight on the track and it should sag 1/2"

  10. #10Digdeep2011-04-13 08:37

    Does the 277 B even have a two-speed option??? I know that the C Series does, but I didn't think they offered two speed on the B Series.

  11. #11Lee-online2011-04-13 18:30

    Yes, some did, some didnt. With a serial number i should be able to find out.

  12. #12JPM2011-04-14 18:15

    Thanks a ton Lee-online!

  13. #13Digdeep2011-04-15 12:36

    Lee..I hate to disagree with you; however, the 277B never had two speed or high-flow. The 277 C Series yes, B Series no.

  14. #14Jfarris2011-06-14 11:52

    I know it's been a while.... The light does not illuminate. There is continuity between the pins. Anything else I could check?

  15. #15Digdeep2011-06-14 16:29

    The 277 B never had a two speed option. The 277 C on the other hand does. If your machine is a B Series 277 the two speed light will not illuminate.