Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Prime the fuel filters on a Case 465

Dwightgry ยท 2011-04-09 21:21

Hi all; just changed both fuel filters on my Case 465 and tried to prime them with the lever on the fuel pump. There was no resistance at all in the lever, and no fuel pumped. (I'm presuming that the prime lever is on the bottom of the mechanical pump.) Eventually gravity filled the filters and the motor started right up, but what about my pump? On some earlier Dodge Cummins trucks (I had this problem) the lift pump stopped working and the injection pump drew enough fuel to run the motor. Could this be happening on my 465? Will the motor run without the fuel pump working? This machine sat for almost 2 years, until I bought it a couple of weeks ago. Could the diaphram be shot? Don't want to turn over the motor without fuel going to the injector pump in case of damage, but is there a way to check the pump? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Lee-online2011-04-09 22:08

    The pump runs off a cam lobe so if it stopped at the maximum lift you wont be able to pump it. Bump it over just a little and then try to pump it.

  2. #2Dwightgry2011-04-10 10:20

    Thanks Lee; it seems that may have been the issue. I tried moving the priming lever before changing the filters at least 4-5 different times while doing general checks, just getting ready, but my engine must always stop with the pump lever compressed, because there never was any resistance. By bumping just a bit, I was able to get some priming action at the bottom of the stroke only, and this helped purge the last of the air bubbles. I wouldn't want to have to prime the whole filter this way tho; it would take forever as only a small bit of fuel pumps with each stroke. Maybe I still don't have the pump lever fully released so will try it again later.

  3. #3SKM Excavation2011-04-10 17:00

    Just a little something i found out that may help you in the future when you change hyd filters make sure to give them a little extra with a strap wrench i have had them pressure up mostly in the winter and they back off and then you blow all the oil out its a mess and not good for machine but since i started giving them a little extra i have had no problems.

  4. #4Dwightgry2011-04-10 19:00

    Looks like the PO knew about this as I broke my filter wrench taking the old hydraulic filter off! Thanks for the tip; I was wondering why that filter was on so tight.