I'm now on my second set of tracks for the 277b ( changed at 2200 hrs ), and am now at 4000 hrs, the tracks have been adjusted that many times I have run out of adjustment on both the track frame and the jockey wheels. CAT have released plans for a set of plates that fit on the jockey wheel hangers that will lift the jockey wheels up another two inches or so allowing the cage to slot forward and give extra adjustment. The plates have been fitted and I am finding them very good, also increases the clearance underneath the jockey wheels themselves. Long Live the "B".:thumbsup
Thats great wear on that machine.. What do you do with your 277B?
Impossible!!! If you listened to most people on these forums CAT MTL undercarriages will cost you $20+ per hour to run, can't get any work done, and tracks won't last 1,000 hours Now imagine what kind of life you could get out of that undercarriage if it was on a machine that it was originally designed for....an ASV Good luck.
The 277B had better wear than the 287B..Some pool diggers in Houston would run out of adjustment in 800hrs. Trying to find a solution lead the CAT dealer to push VTS. Terrible! In rode like a lumber wagon.. The New undercarriage on the 279,289 and 299 are doing great! I like the rest of the machine and run the hell of it with good service! TW
Now clocked 4250 hrs and unfortunately one track has ripped half way across, so is being temporarily replaced with the original track ( 2200 hrs ). Another set of bogies blew their bearings and the drive sprocket bearing blown also. Machine is worked hard, average 9 to 12 hours a day. Did Quarry work for 1500 hrs, cut out driveways, footpaths, clay, sand,topsoil, mud, demolition work and all things related to subdivision development. Approx. 1500 hrs with 8 foot Harley rake. Great machine, can't understand how tracks can wear out in 700 odd hours !
I recently purchased a 2006 277B with 1300 hrs on the machine. Deal was, it got new tracks installed before being shipped to me. The left track only popped one time with a load and I adjusted it after 5 hours and it has been fine... However I adjusted the right side track every 60 to 90 min ointhead. all the way up to max tension and the track still pops when turning using the right track. Right side track is way too loose, it never stayed as tight as the left side was and is. Currently it is at the local Cat dealer getting looked at so I can confirm either a faulty track or incorrect track installed on the right side of the machine. I'm waiting to see what they find before contacting the Caterpillar Broker I bought it through and getting it taken care of. :guns Do you have pictures of the plates you were talking about for the "Jockey wheel"? Which ones are you referring to as the Jockey wheels? Is this an aftermarket deal or can I buy them through my Caterpillar dealer? I've been a truck mechanic for ten years and hands on equipment experiance has been pretty limited untill recently. No hands on experiance with the ASV system yet... I'm sure I'll get a chance to bleed on them someday but due to the situation I felt it better to get the caterpillar dealer look at it. When testing out the different brands by renting or borrowing different brands I liked stability of the tracked ones the best and I have always been a fan of the Caterpillar brand. :usa
I forgot to ask what brand of tracks you use?
We would get a average 650 to 700 hours on our 287b. They were hard hours though. It would dig 4 to 5 pools a week when things were busy. The 287 was a great machine but the cost of up keep on her out weighed a payment on a new machine.
I am not trying to jack anybody's thread but I am a new member and can't start my own. I recently purchased a 267b and yes the track adjustment method is horrible. I need some help with the glow plugs. It keeps blowing the 10 amp fuse. Is there somewhere I could find a wiring diagram or a service manual that doesn't cost $400 and up? Thanks
Hey Joe, I am out of adjustment on my 277B. Can you tell me more about these plates? My tracks seem to be in good shape, just ran out of adjustment.
I run VTS and a small Polaris(ASV RC30) and I think they both ride the same? Compared to a regular CTL the VTS is a dream ride.
I would say low hours on tracks is related to excessive track spinning... Lack of experience ... the typical skid steer two wheel drive method of running a skid steer. which puts a lot of pressure on the tracks and rear wheel sets.. I got 1900 out of a set of tracks so his 2200 isn't a stretch ... in more or less the same conditions.. A toothed bucket will also help... cuts easier..
On my 287b all we had to do. Is remove the front idler and the rear idler and flip the mounting plates it makes the idlers stick out about a 1/2 in further that would fix the 287 problem all the time. I do not know if the 277 are the same as the 287 hope i could help you.
More track adjustment Sorry I don't have any photos, at 5900 hours the machine has been shipped north.... so I have been operating the 277c. we had a lot of trouble with the bearings ****ing themselves, some collapsing after 1 to 2 months. The rubber still virtually unscratched on the wheels but bearings totally gone. The "jockey" wheels I referred to are the set at the top. We changed the jockey set with a complete set of bottom wheels which were a larger diameter. The 277b was blowing hydraulic hoses regularly, becoming a huge pain in the rectum when you have to keep cleaning up the mess. Still a joy to operate though.
just completed the "plate install" on a 277b idler wheel setup. although you have to do all the fabrication and parts building yourself, Cat will give you some paperwork on how to build the plates, and it does include "templates" on paper, which I cut out, transfered to some 3/8 plate, and cut out a total of 8 pieces. It ended up working quite well, raising the wheel axle about 2 1/2" from the original position. thank God I have a plasma cutter! I'm a professional mechanic/welder/fabricator, but I'm pretty sure most everyone out there that works on their own equipment can tackle this on their own. GOOD LUCK!
We've been getting ok life out of our 277b tracks. One thing that has been driving me crazy. We have a BH150 backhoe attachment for it. I cannot get the hydraulics to work except when I roll the right cab joystick button forward. This means I have to have my right hand on the joystick while trying to work the back hoe with my left. Is there a way to keep that valve open and supplying power to the backhoe? I'm starting to see why nobody uses a skidsteer backhoe!
Should be able to roll the roller on right stick and one of the buttons on left stick locks it. jr
Hi guys...new to the site. How do I adjust the tension on the tracks? I also need to release tension to change them. This is my first tracked machine and it does not have the adjustment tool that I have heard should be in the engine compartment...should I get one or is there another way to make do?
277B track adjusting tool I made my tool out of a old screw binder. works great and a lot cheaper then a new one at cat, but this is a must have tool. At first I was trying to use a portapower and blocks. The tool made life a lot easier.
This needs pics !!!!!
Photos
Nice..................
Can you please share with me, or refer me to a place where I can get the plans for the longer plates? - I have a fabrication shop, and can readily make the parts, just looking for the plans if someone already has them. - I have a friend with a Cat 277b .... he has run out of tension adjustment as you guys have discussed here.