Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 277c a/c blower fan

Skidoojunky ยท 2014-08-17 19:03

Hey gang, it hasn't rained here for over a month and I have been doing a lot of grading in real fine dirt/dust. I am almost daily having to blow out all of my cab and engine air filters on my 277c. I am actually just keeping a spare set that have been blown out to change at the beginning of each day. Although my air conditioner is keeping me cool it seems as though the blower fan isn't circulating much air. What could I be missing here? I have changed both inner and outer cab air filters and without them in place it doesn't seem like the blower is outputting much more air anyway? Thanks in advance. Junkman

Replies10
  1. #1Delmer2014-08-17 20:13

    Blow out or hose out the evaporator (cooling coil). Do a little searching on here and you'll find some pics of coils blocked with a thick layer of junk.

  2. #2caterpillarmech2014-08-17 21:54

    That and the seals. The cab folds down onto the sealed intake and exhaust if you will for the air system. I would make sure both seals are good. The unit is prone to getting dirt in the core as well. You can remove the top cover and clean it pretty easily.

  3. #3Delmer2014-08-17 22:11

    If you can get at the blower, it sure won't hurt to blow out the blower wheel, it will be as full of dust as the coil. It will still move some air unless it's plugged with trash, but it will last longer without the extra dust.

  4. #4Skidoojunky2014-08-17 22:20

    Thanks guys, I will give it a look tomorrow. It has been unseasonably cool here lately but it looks like that is about to change. I had the can up today replacing a chaffed hose and I remember seeing the torques head screws to remove the plastic cover from the top of the plenum/evaporator. I may go ahead and order a new seal as well. The machine only has 1400 hours on it but it is AMAZING how fast dirt builds up under there. It was spotless 2 weeks ago.

  5. #5Nige2014-08-18 08:43

    Simple solution - don't work it........ Seriously though - you have come across one of the biggest bugbears on an SSL/MTL/whatever - under all those fancy covers they are like dust magnets.

  6. #6Skidoojunky2014-08-18 23:02

    Nige......thought about your solution.......naaaaaaa! Tore into it today, as suspected there was enough dirt packed into the evaporator to farm 40 acres. Completely removed the blower fan and plenum, washed and replaced it! Cold as a meat locker now. When we put it back together we packed the openings for the heater core hoses and wires with padding to keep more unwanted dust/dirt/debris. We will see how long it lasts but I think I will take it apart to clean it every time I rinse out the belly pan. Thanks for all of your replies. Junkman

  7. #7durallymax2014-08-19 00:43

    Those like to get plugged. The condenser isn't the easiest to clean either. D series is a huge improvement. Another thing I do on a lot of our stuff is seal the fresh air intake. You don't need fresh air in the summer. This will keep a lot of dirt out of the system.

  8. #8Skidoojunky2014-08-19 22:15

    Thanks for the tip durallymax so you are saying block off the fresh air entirely? Just work off of the recirculatory inner filter? Makes sense!

  9. #9durallymax2014-08-19 23:25

    Yep, with A/C you don't want fresh air anyways. Leave it blocked unless you have issues in the winter keeping the windows clear.

  10. #10Skidoojunky2014-08-19 23:37

    Thanks I'm on it!!!