Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 277c electrical problem

truecountry ยท 2016-08-17 19:45

Ok SN is jwf00391 My problem is it will not crank after it gets hot ..no power to the solenoid on starter when key is on Brand new cat starter and same problem noway I have 2 bad starters,,,and Voltage is good at battery .Swapped relays with Air Conditioner and same part number and same problem ..no start no clicking nothing ..... I see in wiring diagram it has a Neutral safety switch but I cant find it The key switch feels rough to turn , haven't pulled it out to check yet As I looked at diagram its Key switch neutral safety arm rest sensor ...Checked good windshield door sensor ...checked good seat sensor ...checked good ecm....Don't think ecm is bad relay ...swapped solenoid new and starter new Have I missed something ?

Replies2
  1. #1Mark2502016-08-18 05:29

    Hi truecountry if the ECM see's any kind of signal from the engine speed sensor or from the alternator R terminal it will disable starting. disconnect the speed sensor from harness and disconnect the R terminal wire from the alternator and try how did you check your lock out sensors eg seat, door etc. did you also check the wiring back to the ECM for these sensors the ECM performs the function of the neutral start relay for C series machines Mark

  2. #2truecountry2016-08-23 22:00

    Its been a hair pulling machine ..pulled ess and r terminal machine cranked and ran ...ordered ess put it on and nothing .. Changed out key switch because I had one in parts room it cranked 7 times then nothing ...looking at diagram I see cold start relay is one shared wire with starter relay so I changed relay ...it runssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ...but why did it run with sensor and alt wire r disconnected then key switch swap ....this machine is a 9th wonder...3 days runs and cranks fine lol damn I'm bald