Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 279 D3 Engine ticking noise when cold!

bartmike ยท 2023-03-30 13:13

I have a 2019 Cat 279D3 skid loader, has 2611 hours. Recently noticed a slight engine tick noise when cold, completely clears up when engine is at operating temperature. I've checked exhaust outlets for leaks and didn't see anything to be alarmed about so I don't think its exhaust related. I've been around big and small block diesel engines for the past ten years (mainly C15, Detroit 60, ISX, etc..) but am not familiar with these. Engine is Cat 3.3B. Was going to pull the rocker/valve cover and check the overhead but with the noise clearing up when hitting operating temp leads me to not believe its valve train. Skid steers doesn't skip a beat either, engine has good power and no issues. Anyone else experience this?

Replies9
  1. #1stefuel2023-03-30 13:39

    Before looking at anything else, checking the valve clearance is a free check and something that can be definitely scratched off the maybe list. A dirty injector that's not spraying correctly can make noise when cold and clear up with temperature. That can end up damaging the piston long term if left alone. Crack one injector line at a time to check for that.

  2. #2bartmike2023-03-30 13:44

    Thanks for the reply, I will definintly check out the injectors. Forgot to add that originally but its a thought that came into my mind when I first heard it.

  3. #3Nige2023-03-30 16:48

    I suppose you've already done the basics of draining water/sediment from the fuel tank and also from the bowl of the water separator.? Water can play some funny tricks with fuel systems. Here's the valve lash spec just in case you don't have it.

  4. #4ahart2023-03-30 18:07

    High pressure Common rail fuel system, do not crack those lines open to check injectors.

  5. #5Nige2023-03-30 19:34

    Good point. Cracking an injector line on that engine could ruin your day really fast.

  6. #6stefuel2023-03-30 20:38

    Not familiar with the engine. Is it electronic or cam actuated injection? Still, a bad injector can cause the noise in question. I would still start with the free stuff first like checking the valves.

  7. #7Arny L2023-03-30 21:01

    I would recheck exhaust side for broken manifold bolts or cracks, to me it sounds like classic cold start exhaust leak. Then as Stefuel said, pull the cover and check valve clearance. Not a dime spent on anything, and minimum labor.

  8. #8bartmike2023-03-31 11:23

    Motor is fully serviced, I did see some sediment in the bottom of the fuel filter/water separator. I'm waiting on a communications connector for our laptop then going to be running a injector cut out test and see how that goes. Will recheck exhaust side as well. Going to pull the rocker cover and see how things are looking under there as well. Never had one of these apart, injectors are part of the cover that way it looks? Anyone have any insight if I can just pull the cover and leave everything connected?

  9. #9bartmike2023-03-31 11:24

    Anyone have a link for the engine manual? Have to do a little more searching on our diagnostic computer to see if I cant find one.