Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 279 intermittent 2204-3

Tonkatoy · 2024-08-28 12:26

I have a CAT 279 sn GTL04445 and for the past year and a half I have been getting code 2204-3 more and more. I have a 4 in 1 bucket on the machine and also use a Harley rake and grapple, but the aux. hydraulics are almost always hooked to an attachment. At first it would throw the code for a second but then it would go away. Over the months it woudl happen more and more, but was never active when I was in a position to troubleshoot. I took the joystick apart because i had read that the magnet in the rocker switch would decompose but it is fine. A few weeks ago I had it at the shop with the code active and did as much of the trouble shooting as I could, but I don't have a multi meter that can measure frequency. I decided to replace the joystick base where the sensor is and got a reman one from CAT. Plugged it in and code went away immediately and worked for several days, then it came back briefly one day but cleared up and I operated the rest of the day with no problem. Today it was back and only went away a couple of times in about 3 hours. Has anybody else had an experience like this? I was a little wary of getting a reman base but I figured the sensor had been replaced. ​

Replies13
  1. #1Zewnten2024-08-31 23:16

    DMM with frequency measurement is cheap. Buy one before shotgunnning parts, it'll be cheaper I promise.

  2. #2Nige2024-09-01 04:25

    You need a DMM that will measure duty cycle, not frequency.

  3. #3Nige2024-09-01 06:29

    Here's the troubleshooting procedure for the 2204-3 Diagnostic Code. If you don't have an electrical schematic you are welcome to one if it helps.

  4. #4Zewnten2024-09-01 09:14

    Thanks for catching that. My bad

  5. #5Nige2024-09-01 09:28

    No worries. A lot of the time, certainly on Fluke meters, the same button works for both frequency and duty cycle measurements. Press it once and it reads frequency, press it a 2nd time and it reads DC.

  6. #6Tonkatoy2024-09-03 15:05

    Thanks guys, ordered a new multi meter that will measure duty cycle, should get to me soon. I ran the machine for a while today, started up without the 2204-3 code, never appeared while I was running, and I was using a grapple but then it gave me a 2685-8 code which is still active.

  7. #7Nige2024-09-03 15:08

    That's for the LH drive motor #1 speed sensor.

  8. #8Brandon4262024-10-22 14:44

    I’m in the process of diagnosing the 2204-3 as well but I’m not certain where the sensor is to troubleshoot. Can someone provide it?

  9. #9Nige2024-10-22 15:01

    Take a look at the troubleshooting procedure in Post #4. 2204 is for the thumbwheel roller on the RH joystick. If you want a full electrical schematic you'll need to provide a machine Serial Number.

  10. #10Brandon4262024-10-22 15:22

    CAT0279DCGTL03557 I was looking at the procedure there I just didn’t know if there was another side or if the “sensor” is the joystick.

  11. #11Nige2024-10-22 15:29

    The sensor for code 2204 is not the complete joystick it is only the small roller wheel embedded into the top of the handle.

  12. #12Tonkatoy2024-10-22 16:52

    Mine turned out to be a broken wire coming from the sensor inside the joystick, very hard to identify since it would work most of the time, and even trouble shooting sometimes the code would clear.

  13. #13Nige2024-10-22 17:37

    Check your message inbox for an electrical schematic.