Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 279C Gremlin

rust buster ยท 2016-06-27 16:52

Looking for any advice... 2009 CAT 279C...everything has been working great. Start it up yesterday, move about 25 ft and I lose all bucket controls on the right joystick...no up/down, no tilt/curl. Nothing I could do got it to work...so I had to use the emergency hydraulic release to lower the bucket so I could get out. Inspected everything and there are no leaks, no electrical issues that I can see (frayed/broken wires), all fuses are good. Today I go out and try again and same thing, but now when I start it up, the controls work for 3-8 seconds and then die. If I shut the machine off and restart it, they come right back for another few seconds and die. I am getting no idiot lights or alarms... Any advice? I don't even know where to start. Thank you!

Replies13
  1. #1DIYDAVE2016-06-27 19:50

    I'd start looking at the safety circuit, and solenoid controls...

  2. #2rust buster2016-06-27 20:18

    Thinking it's just a bad connection somewhere?

  3. #3Nige2016-06-28 04:05

    When the bucket controls are inactive will the machine still drive in both directions..?

  4. #4The Peej2016-06-28 06:42

    I'd look at the door interlock switch. If the machine thinks the door is open it will lock out the bucket controls.

  5. #5rust buster2016-06-28 08:04

    Yes, machine will continue to drive just fine in all directions

  6. #6Nige2016-06-28 08:27

    In that case I'm with the suggestion above regarding the door (implement lockout) switch.

  7. #7rust buster2016-06-28 08:32

    I thought of this, but when the door is open or armrest locks not down, there is an indicator on the control panel that lights up. This does not happen when the bucket controls stop working.

  8. #8Nige2016-06-28 08:43

    Would an electrical schematic be of any use to you..? If yes then please post your S/N just to get the correct one. Maybe there is a bad contact in a connector somewhere. With the schematic you would be able to identify how many connectors there are in the harness feeding the RH joytick and where they are physically located.

  9. #9rust buster2016-06-28 09:17

    Nige, Thanks to you, I already have the schematic and that is my project tonight..to get well acquainted with it! Thank you again for sending it over a couple of months ago.

  10. #10Mark2502016-06-28 20:07

    hi,a couple of things to check, assuming your interlocks are working as per previous suggestions all interlock switch's can be grounded to confirm 1/ check for 12v at rhs joystick connector base pin #1 at 6 pin connector and confirm a good ground at pin #2 in same connector if no power check fuse no A9 in fuse box 2/ confirm 12V available at pilot on/off solenoid which is mounted on the right hand frame rail under cab .check voltage across the two wires as they both leave and return to the ECM. you will have to bypass interlocks to do this.as the cab has to raised to gain access or run a temporary extension loom and test inside cab BE CAREFULL WITH INTERLOKS BYPASSED 3/ check resistance of pilot on/off solenoid

  11. #11rust buster2016-06-30 08:23

    Thank you! I will give this a shot.

  12. #12ap51522024-12-25 15:35

    Anyone who asks for help and then doesn't post any follow up information once their problem is solved should be banned permanently. Just saying. I had this same problem. Machine was working fine moved it 25' and was moving the seat around trying to figure out how to replace it. Hydro lock light came on and hydraulics wouldn't work. Ended up being the seat pressure switch. I unplugged it and ran a jumper wire connecting the two pin holes on the plug. Light went off hydros working

  13. #13Nige2024-12-25 15:44

    Should that also apply to you.? HeavyEquipmentForums