Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What difference does power make

AlanC ยท 2016-06-28 05:05

Hi. I am after a skid steer to mainly level off some farm roads, dig out a few blackberry bushes and general clean up work. Assuming 2 machines weigh almost the same what difference would 37kw (47hp) make compared to 47kw (63hp). Is a 37kw machine capable of digging out ground with a toothed bucket or does the additional power make a huge difference? Thanks in advance.

Replies10
  1. #1Swannny2016-06-28 09:36

    Additional power can make a huge difference in some circumstances. Gehl made a 5635sxt in a 60 hp version (naturally aspirated) and a 80 hp version (turbo). The difference in hp would show up digging out in mucky situations (ponds/pools, etc.) when the machines would have over-the-tire tracks. Navigating in situations like that rob a lot of hp, add digging/lifting/turning to the equation and the 60 hp machine would bog. Another situation would be spinning a brush cutter with the auxiliary hydros - the 80hp would spin it easier at lower rpm when multi-functioning the loader.

  2. #2Jeepwalker2016-06-28 10:59

    All things being equal, many will suggest the machine with more power. Higher HP machines are more likely to have high flow hydraulics and maybe 2 speed too. But not all circumstances are equal (usage, money, condition, machine type, etc), so I guess it's a matter of you weighing your current and future usage needs. A 60 hp machine is a good all-around home-owner sized machine for most needs with plenty to spare. Contractors and farmers may need more. At 47 hp, that's still a pretty good size machine ...and maybe even better for you if it is compact to fit into narrower areas, your storage area, and more easily onto a trailer (if it matters to you). It comes down to what your usages will be, and for digging and moving things around I would think it would be fine. I suspect a lot of HOAA's (Home-Owners-With-Acreage ....a Bobcat Co. marketing term) don't run their machines near full throttle very much and therefore are closer to the 40 hp range for most tasks. For digging, I'm guessing a 47hp machine probably uses a 63" or so wide bucket and should dig fine with teeth on it. Teeth just concentrate the pressure onto much smaller areas ...acts like a wedge, makes it easier to dig. Where one might run into hp issues with digging come into high-traction situations like scooping dirt from an embankment and using tracks like Swanny said. I recently did some excavating using my Case 1845C (a 58hp machine). With a tooth bucket, I can scoop a 74" wide bucket of a clay and rock mixture from an undisturbed embankment and fill the bucket right up. It really bogs the machine down by the end of the scoop but doesn't kill it (unless I don't scoop it right). That's a lot of soil, and I know I wasn't at full throttle, so hopefully that gives you some idea. That 47hp machine you're looking at I'm guessing uses a narrower bucket, maybe 63" so it would probably perform about the same. You should really compare the torque ratings of the two engines you are looking at and at what RPM they produce their peak power at. That's probably a better measure. I rarely ever run mine at full throttle, usually around 1/2 - 3/4 throttle. So I'm probably not even at 47hp. Some factors that make using a skid loader nice are comfortable controls, ease of entry/exit, lower noise and vibration (that's why cabs are nice), good visibility out the front and sides, reliable. Of course they have to *perform* their intended function well too and match the machine's ROC (rated operating capacity) with the owners' needs. Good luck,

  3. #3DDoug2016-06-28 15:11

    I will suggest that you "try before you buy" Location you posted appears to be pretty remote, can you rent one for a day ? Only you can determine if you need extra power, or can baby it a bit, and slow down the work to keep the engine from bogging. Could be that 80% of your work will not need full power.

  4. #4Jeepwalker2016-06-28 20:01

    Yep, good advice. If you are not well-practiced on using a skid loader, maybe ask the owner to dig something. Overall, a 47hp machine can do a lot of work, and, yeah, it'll dig just fine. Just look at the Bobcat 753 (43 hp) and a 763 (46hp) which were contractor and farmers favorite machines for many years. You don't see them on jobsites as often as you used to, but just this spring they put a major addition onto a warehouse near my house and they had a 753 machine doing the landscaping work and moving pallets around. Do some youtube searches on them. BTW, what make/model machine are you looking at if you don't mind me asking? Do both machines have the same wheelbase? If one is longer and you live on a hill, the longer one will provide better stability.. Bobcat 763 digging: https://www.youtube.com/********=JK3v_zTXDvg

  5. #5AlanC2016-06-29 07:19

    Hi. Thanks for the replies, especially the time taken as some are quite detailed. I will probably look for a 60 hp machine as you can always run it slower if full power is not required, but can't go the other way with a 48hp machine. I will post back when I find something suitable. Again thanks to all. Regards Alan

  6. #6Jeepwalker2016-06-29 10:31

    Jeez, I hope I didn't steer you away from the 48hp machine. My dad has a small 16hp skid loader that will fit through doorways and do a surprising amount of work. With a tooth bucket it'll also dig holes (but the bucket is only like 38" or so wide I think). Mini bobcats can also do a lot of work. A lot of basements and dirt work have been done with 45-60 hp machines. So, I guess, don't shy away from a machine around 50 hp w/o at least giving one a try.

  7. #7mountainlake2016-06-30 18:23

    I'm not infatuated with hp numbers, more with how much it will lift, how smooth the controls are, how it operates at lower rpm as some need to be wide open to operate good. Steve

  8. #8Welder Dave2016-07-03 13:58

    It would really help to know which machines you are looking at. 48 HP with a narrower bucket will dig just as easily as a 60 HP with a wider bucket. Sometimes more HP just makes the tires spin easier while not really making any difference in digging ability. There's also a lot more to consider than just HP or weight. Skid steers should be run at full throttle. It's way easier on the hydrostatic transmission. Case 1845C's for example were 5-600lbs less weight than competitive machines in the same class. Some machines I wouldn't even consider no matter what HP they had. The older New Hollands/ John Deere's were a poor design for a skid steer in my opinion. You sat so low in them you couldn't see the cutting edge of the bucket. That defeats the purpose of the skid steer. If you want to do fine grading and landscaping in a skid steer, you have to be able to se the cutting edge. Other machines have poor visibility or complicated electronics you're always fighting with. If you have a machine(s) you're looking at, post it on here and get opinions on that particular machine.

  9. #9mountainlake2016-07-03 14:43

    I never run my machines at full throttle when not working them hard such as moving lumber or loading logs, loading dirt or pushing hard yes. Love my Case 75xt as its really responsive at lower RPM, my Volvo needs to be revved up some to get decent ground speed. Steve

  10. #10Rentalstop2016-07-03 19:24

    I had a 2000 Bobcat 763 (46hp). Great machine. Did everything that I asked. A couple years ago we had 2006 Bobcat S160 (56hp turbo). The S160 was much better in the fact that the engine didn't stall when digging and pushing dirt. The added 10hp made a noticeable difference. Also if the machine has A/C it will rob ten hp.