Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 279c park brake issue

Jeffc1964 · 2026-04-18 12:46

I have a cat 279c skid steer serial number MBT01838 I’m needing a electrical schematic of the hydraulic system I have a issue with it not coming ou of park have replaced the switch with one from cat dealer and found some broken wires on the relays under or behind the cab repaired those and went over other wires fou a burnt coil on a part with the number 258-2801 the cat parts man was no help didn’t know what it was other than a hydraulic control valve I included a picture and you can see the electrical coil I’m referring to I need to find out what this coil does and need a schematic if anyone has one or can help me in any way I would greatly appreciate it thanks View attachment 1776530629371.jpeg

Replies12
  1. #1Jeffc19642026-04-18 12:48

    I failed to mention the boom and bucket works fine just will not come out of park

  2. #2Nige2026-04-18 12:55

    Can you post a photo of the dash panel in the upper RH corner of the cab please. It may be possible to access diagnostic codes via that panel.

  3. #3Jeffc19642026-04-18 21:18

    Sorry I don’t have that extra screen that you are referring to wish I did I did price one it’s around 1500 dollars plus tax and have a pers with cat ET but he wants 300 just to come out and plug his computer to it and he’s local not sure what the going rate is but that seems kinda high to me just to read codes thank you Nige I know you have helped a lot of people I have read several post and you have really helped people I appreciate you

  4. #4Jeffc19642026-04-18 21:23

    Can anyone tell me what this is and what does the coil control this is under the cab on the right side of the machine thanks I’m new on here and just learning how to add pictures and stuff thanks

  5. #5Nige2026-04-18 21:26

    Unfortunate that you don’t have that additional optional panel. It makes things a lot easier. Well if he charges say $100/hr and the whole thing takes him 3 hours including his travel time there’s your answer. I speak under correction but I think that’s the valve for the 2-speed.

  6. #6Jeffc19642026-04-18 22:02

    So you think that picture of that coil is for my two speed sensor

  7. #7Jeffc19642026-04-18 22:06

    That was 300 just to put it on his computer and read codes i didn’t ask him how much a hour he charges I’m sure it would be a extra charge if he has to turn wrenches I don’t mind paying it but if I can find it on my own that’s 300 bucks I can save

  8. #8Nige2026-04-19 11:23

    That wasn’t exactly my point. If you contract him just to come and read codes and it takes him 1hr travel each way from his shop plus 1hr to read the codes and produce a report (known as a Product Status Report) then at 100/hr there’s your 300 bucks. Nothing to do with a sensor. It is a solenoid-operated valve. I have no way of confirming at the moment but if it is the 2-speed then you should find that two of the lines coming from it end up at the drive motors, one on each. Take a look and report back where the hydraulic lines go to.

  9. #9Hew's Mobile2026-04-19 22:27

    the number you have showing (258-2801) is the work tool positioner valve. That valve cartridge and coil (item 5 and 6 in the image) are for self-level. Probably not the issue for not coming out of park although probably have a code or event of their own showing. If the boom and tilt are working and wheels aren't moving/not coming out of park. I would first check all interlocks. door switch/seat switch/arm bar. pretty straight forward to jump out if needed. if its a three wire you'll find a common/normally open/normally closed. for what it's worth.... the parts guys usually don't know much further than looking for what you are asking for and a lot of time will rely on techs to give them more info. and $300 to come out and plug in is more than fair if you put into account how much it costs yearly to have customer level CATet and CATsis both separate subscriptions costing around $1500 annually each. My area just for CAT dealer to show up is just shy of $1000 between hourly rate/mileage/supply fee whether they do anything beyond plugging in or not. If you'd like the pdf of the schematic i could email it to you. I'm sort of new to this posting so if there is a way to private message just send me an email and i can send it to you.

  10. #10Jeffc19642026-04-21 15:34

    Thanks for the info I already ruled out interlocks all are working fine also replaced the burnt coil on that valve body and still will not come out of park my cat dealer tech sai if I can get it to him he will scan it and print out the codes for me for free if I can get it to him my rollback is down right now or I would take it down there I guess I’ll get the local technician /service man a call and tak that 300 dollar hit I know it could be worse I will try and email you privately I’m new here myself and maybe you can email me that schematic thank you Hew’s Mobile and thanks Nige

  11. #11Jeffc19642026-04-21 15:38

    I can’t figure out how to email you so I’m putting mine on here [email protected] thank you very much appreciate it guys

  12. #12Nige2026-04-21 15:42

    I can send you the schematic you need. Check your message inbox.