Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 279C rear idler bearing failure

Canadian_digger ยท 2016-02-06 16:49

Just had bearing failure on the rear idler on my 279c. It got so hot that it filled the cab with smoke. Do you typically get a hole new wheel? Or replace the seals and bearing? My machine has single flange idlers on the back. It has thrown a track twice on me. Should I get triple flange. Does cat supply these or do I get them elsewhere? Thank you for your help

Replies6
  1. #1lantraxco2016-02-06 17:09

    If it got that hot, I wouldn't even look at it, just slap a new assembly on there.

  2. #2caterpillarmech2016-02-06 19:12

    Yes, replace. Yes on triple flange idlers. I used to run triples on all four corners for a customer that ran a track off every other day. Now i work for him! The triples will hold a track a lot longer in some really bad situations.

  3. #3Canadian_digger2016-02-07 13:20

    Would anyone have the part number for the triple flange idler?

  4. #4pafarmer2016-02-07 14:39

    Replace the entire assembly. All my rubber tracked CAT CTL have triple flange rollers. If you are using the machine in rough or rugged condition they are a must have item.... Triple flange roller part numbers are; Idler-GP- TRA 348-9647 qty 2 You only need to replace the two rear single flange with the above. The dual flange fronts are fine and will not derail the track. I am carrying around Fecon forestry heads on our 299XHP units and they are the heaviest attachment going and the dual flange fronts are never an issue. Good luck

  5. #5Canadian_digger2016-02-07 15:16

    Excellent pafarmer. So much easier when you have the part number when you call the dealer. Thank you and everyone else who replied.

  6. #6pafarmer2016-02-07 15:57

    No problem my Northern Brother...