I have a deere ct322with about 4k hours on it that the engine finally quit on. The machine ran out well before the 4024 quit. Is it worth putting a reman in it and keeping it for a backup, or am I better to part ways?
Don't know anything about a 4024, I believe that is the engine in this CT322, but 4,000 hours sounds very low hours. What happened to the engine?
It's a skid loader. I don't know why they even put a dipstick on them.
Heck where I worked they have a 1989 Case that is still going strong engine wise. It does sit a lot as it is only used for clean-up in the quarry and is parked most of the winter other than pushing a little snow. It has around 7,000 hours on it and has never had any major engine work. Water pump failed back in 2009, think I did a valve setting at that time, figured 20 years was about due!
In my experience, nothing gets abused like a skid steer. If it starts when the operator turns the key, it's 100% good to go. I just rebuilt a Perkins in a Bobcat. They replaced the original engine with a reefer engine at some point. That motor had been rebuilt twice before (crank was -.020). So, it's on it's 4th engine rebuild that I know of.
Nobody knows better than you what decision to make. Write down down the goods and the bads. Pumps and final drive condition? Pin and bushing condition? Undercarriage? Overall general condition? Price of reman engine and swap? Average usage per year? Maintenance history? What did it do before it went down? Guzzling oil antifreeze? Or something mechanical with bad loud noises. I personally would go with some sort of reman from a well known builder. It seems like the backyard overhaul guys toss a kit in it and call it new.
My experience is exactly the opposite. The quality of reman engines this size is appalling. Last time I had one apart it looked like it must have been Jose's first engine... You can usually get them rebuilt locally for less and then you know what you are getting and can get help from them when needed.
I also things it depends on condition of machine...if machine is worth less than a reman or rebuild would be wouldn't rly entertain it. If it's been maintained properly and you plan on keeping it id say go ahead. 4024 are tricky to time because you have to clock the injectors while installing them in fuel rack. I've done a couple but it's almost more efficient to get a complete reman rather than long block.
Thanks for the responses. I bought the skid for a paltry $5,000.00 from a site contractor buddy of mine...it wouldn't start, and they were wrestling with a timing cover oil leak that was covering the whole motor. I got it up and running for him, and 3 months later, was asked if I would like to buy it. I figured that I needed to get a little over 150 hours out of it to make it worthwhile, so I bought it. I got over 400 hours out of it, but it would leak oil to the tune of a gallon a day. Im sure that it got left go pretty often, as the valve train could always be heard, and with oil in a radiator in dust, I'm sure that it was overheated a time or two... I asked him why he never fixed it right, and was told he had the cover replaced once, and it leaked again in like a month. He said he couldnt afford to be without it. I guess you only hurt the ones you love. I originally wanted to repair it and then get to work, but I am still literally 7 days a week, 11 hours a day, so that never happened... The kablewie came yesterday. It started to sound like the air filter came off, then became very sluggish, and then "pop". Then nothing. It ran really strong, UC is in good shape, no leaks in the hydraulics, and looks pretty good. After pricing out some other models in the last day, and getting a price for a complete surplus motor, it looks like I will be putting a new 0 hour motor in.