Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 287b Parking brake issue

DDWilliams ยท 2020-06-06 12:57

Hello and thanks in advance for any answers. I have a CAT 287b, it will run normally then the park brake will suddenly engage on both sides and not disengage. The park brake light does not come on and everything else including all hydraulics will function normally. I have replaced the park brake solenoid and coil but still have the same problem. Has anyone had this issue and what was the fix? I noticed a couple old threads here but the fix was not reported. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Mark2502020-06-06 18:42

    I would put a test light across the park brake solenoid and place in the cab and monitor if the test light stays on when the problem occurs it is a hydraulic problem if it goes out it is electrical. on this model the ECM does not monitor the park brake solenoid circuit.So if there is a fault everything else will still work

  2. #2DDWilliams2020-06-06 22:54

    Thanks for your reply Mark, I will try this to narrow down the issue.

  3. #3DDWilliams2020-06-07 10:11

    Hello and thanks in advance for any answers. I have re-posted this in the correct forum I have a CAT 287b, it will run normally then the park brake will suddenly engage on both sides and not disengage. The park brake light does not come on and everything else including all hydraulics will function normally. I have replaced the park brake solenoid and coil but still have the same problem. Has anyone had this issue and what was the fix? I noticed a couple old threads here but the fix was not reported. Thanks

  4. #4digger242j2020-06-07 10:55

    Since there was a reply in the other forum already, I've merged the two threads here. Carry on..

  5. #5DDWilliams2020-08-02 22:05

    I found the problem to be the ECU. replaced with a used one and I'm back in business.