Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 287C – Bucket wont move

Jared Rall · 2020-10-10 21:38

2006 CAT 287C, only warning light on is flashing exclamation point/driver alert, no beeping. No digital interface for code readout on this unit. Drives forward and backward but the right joystick will not do anything. The light went out and the bucket worked twice for about 10 seconds and then light started flashing and stopped working again. It is full of hydraulic fluid, oil and filters were changed 6 months/20 hours ago, full of fuel. It was sitting for about 3 weeks before starting it. Serial: CAT0287CHMAS01365 Does anyone have any idea whats wrong with it? Thanks, Jared

Replies15
  1. #1Jared Rall2020-10-10 21:40
  2. #2Jared Rall2020-10-10 21:49
  3. #3Jared Rall2020-10-10 21:50
  4. #4Welder Dave2020-10-11 01:39

    You should post this in the compact track loader forum. This forum is for larger steel tracked loaders.

  5. #5Per Eriksson2020-10-11 07:16

    So both lift up/down and bucket rack/dump is dead? I'd start checking for power and ground first at the joystick. Then the 2 signals which is PWM so a multimeter can be used to check btween ground and signal. should be 50% at center position and go between 20-80% at full strokes. If you have power and ground but no signal you can swap left and right joystick and see what happens, they are both the same.

  6. #6Jared Rall2020-10-15 13:42

    First off, sorry for posting in the wrong group. I would move it if I could. I do have power at the right hand joystick, but I'm not sure that I am measuring the PWM in the correct location or have my multi-meter setup correctly to read it. The right joystick has the auxiliary hydraulic rolling knob on top and it does bog the engine down when rolled forward or back.

  7. #7The Peej2020-10-15 15:04

    First thing I would check is the door switch. If its not seeing the door closed it will lock out the bucket controls

  8. #8Jared Rall2020-10-17 19:34

    Turns out it was the right joystick, the auxiliary button is a different wiring harness. Does anyone know where to get a new joystick, or the module in the joystick as the rest of the joystick seems fine? Does anyone repair the joystick? The joystick PN is:269-0262 with updated part number 460-5347. It doesn't appear there is a part number for the module in the joystick.

  9. #9Jared Rall2020-10-17 19:36

    Just more photos of the RH joystick. IT switched the left and right and the dump would work but the tracks wouldn't move.

  10. #10Jared Rall2020-10-17 19:37

    CAT 287C right hand joystick is the same as the left. Looking for a new joystick, module or repair that isn't $925 Thanks

  11. #11Nige2020-10-18 13:50

    Good luck in that search. There are no electronic repair parts for that joystick. Alternative Part Numbers. The bare joytisck assembly is 269-0257, replaced by 456-0166. 269-0257 & 269-0262 are both on Machinery Trader used. Says "call for price".

  12. #12Jared Rall2020-10-18 20:09

    Nige, Is there a reason this on ebay wouldn't work for a substitution? https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-379-15...-00000300378-HEAVY-DUTY-ASSEMBLY/154144433835 I called and left a message for the one on machinery trader. Thanks, Jared

  13. #13Nige2020-10-18 21:07

    Dunno. I’ll have to check what models the quoted Part Number allegedly fits.

  14. #14Nige2020-10-19 07:27

    Listed as fitting D & D2-series SSL, CTL, & MTL. I wouldn't guarantee it will fit your machine.

  15. #15Jared Rall2020-10-19 09:52

    I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know. Thanks.