Hello, I was wondering if anyone had input on this. I'm waiting for my ET laptop to come in so I'm limited in seeing the diagnostic procedures. It's a 289 track skid Serial JMP02949 99 Its throwing codes for all 4 track speed sensors (2685, 2686, 2687, 2688) Also Implement lockout code and parking brake switch. Does anyone know if these are all in the same harness or what pins they are? Thanks so much!
What suffix on the Codes.? Each of those 4 CID numbers can generate -2 or -8 FMI variants. The troubleshooting procedure for each is different. Again, detail of the CID and FMI of these two Codes would assist in finding troubleshooting procedures for them. Electrical Schematic on the way. Check your messages.
Nige sorry for the delay they are all CDL prefixes. Still working on this. It's been hit and miss some days the machine is fine, other days it throws the warning and beeps constantly, and other days one of the drive motors will lock up.
Still need the "dash" number after the 2685/6/7/8 to identify the correct troubleshooting procedure.
Unfortunately diesel laptops doesn't show any of the dash numbers. It's really not effective for machinery IMO. Also sorry for the pic. Thank you for the help!
There are two different procedures for CID0070 & CID0490. Both attached here.
The procedures for the 2685/6/7/8 are all the same APART FROM the wire number/colour of the signal wire from the sensor to the ECM. 2685-2 & 2685-8 are attached below. I will send you a copy of the electrical schematic so that you can figure out the wire numbers for 2686/7/8 for yourself. Keep an eye on your messages. Are there any other Codes/Events that you need help with.? That photo you posted above is almost impossible to read.
It throws all of those at once. Is it odd to have both right and left, and both sensors not reading correctly? Is it possibly ECM? Nige your the best thank you!
Well we already know that power & ground from the ECM to the speed sensors is common to both sides of the machine. Take a look at the other two and see where their power/ground comes from. If it’s the same two wires you are looking away from the sensors and back towards the ECM. If you can’t find anything common as per the above then I suggest to use the abbreviated schematics from the troubleshooting procedures and locate the wires in question on the main schematic. At some point do they all pass through the same connector or connectors in a wiring harness.? I am very surprised that there is no 0041 (8v supply) Code of some sort. That is often common when speed sensors go in the fritz. But then again you never answered my question regarding whether there were any other Codes present in addition to the ones posted above.
Nige, thanks for all your help already. Just following up. The only codes present were: Parking Break switch, Implement lockout switch, left and right speed sensors 2685-2688, low system voltage, and air filter restriction. I went through the diagnostic process for the speed sensors. They passed on both sides, power to sensor, continuity, resistance for open circuit and shorted circuit. Machine is still currently acting up. Drive motors will lock up from time to time but machine still operates but beeps constantly and throws the warning light. Right now I'm thinking ECM. Any thoughts? Any last diag before I pull the trigger on an ECM? Thank you guys! Much appreciated
Before pulling the trigger on anything parts-wise, let alone a $2k+ new ECM, I would suggest to have someone hook Cat ET up to it and have them download a Product Status Report (it’s a pdf file) for you. It might be well worth the investment because it ought to point you to exactly what is causing the problem.
I think you should to check the sensor voltages when it’s acting up. Might need to have a multimeter hooked in and run it awhile. Sounds like it’s dropping out and triggering everything.
I'm thinking the same but I can't figure out why there isn't a 41-4 Code up for loss of sensor voltage.? I still have my doubts regarding the Diesel Laptop that the OP is using for his diagnostics.
I recently had a host of fault codes pop up on a 289D that ended up being a loose ground on the engine. Search my thread history to find it. May or may not be your issue, but doesn't hurt to try!
A PSR would definitely be helpful. I've always had ET in the past and recently had to switch over to DL software. It's just a major handcuff on stuff like this. I'll find your thread Shoe! Thanks again guys