Hey guys, was wondering if any of you guys out there own a Cat 289 or 299, and what the difference between the 2 are. I'm looking for a new one but dont know if i should buy a 289 or 299. The Cat sealer is sending me up a 289 to try out next week,wondering if there is much difference between the 2(beside horsepower). Any input would be great. Thanks
We own the 289c the 89 is a great machine, not much diff in the 89 and the 99. The 99 has more hp not much more though, and it can lift more. The 289 is 4 inches shorter witch was a bonus for us because we are in tight areras most of the time, were those 4 more inches would kill us. One thing on the 99 i se is the air to air aftercooler that would be something else to go wrong in my oppinion. Good luck on your new machine.
I bought the 289 because at the time the 299 was having overheat problems. The two machines are the same, except for the extra 8 HP. I use my 289 in my side business and think it is the best CAT machine I have owned. I had a 277B, 287B, and the 289C all with the same engine. The 289 has met my expectations!
I see you stated you had a side business. I have a tak tl150 I use for a side business. what do you do mon-fri? If you don't mind me asking.
Hey bonanno your a local 15 operator right? On your side job who are you working for home owners or private contractors non union?
Bobcat s330 I'm a local 138 operator,not 15. Mostly home owners, sometimes a contractor but only for residential work. Its becoming a pain and the azz with insurance and licensing. Hopefully the economy will pick of this summer. lol
Whats the differnce between 138 and 15?? Also cant you get in trouble with the union for doing side jobs for other contractors
15 is mostly in the city, 138 is on long island. Not that I know of. Its residential, its not like a union company is bidding on the work. I only work for friends that are contractors. I dont advertise and I dont try at all to get work. I do whatever is referred to me. I don't really have the time to do any of it. I already own the machine so if I get the opertunity to use it, I do.
Yeah i had a buddy that was doing the same thing you do. On the weekends he would do work for builders. He was doing things like digging curbs driveways even backfilling foundations. He told me he had a problem with the union because they did not want him working for a non union company doing any type of work. the best part is they he told me that they told him that if he does do that type of weekend work he has to have a local guy on his machine. I dont know it just doesnt make sense to me.
I am a airline captain for Continental Airlines based in Houston Texas! I will will be 54 on March 17.. I have been flying 38 years and have over 30,000 hrs. When people ask what I do for a living, I say a heavy equipment operator! TW:usa
The 299C also has slightly different lift arms; it offers slightly more lift height (two inches). Much else, as mentioned, is similar between the two.