Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Want to upgrade skid steer:

1693TA ยท 2010-03-07 23:07

I have a 1995 Case 1845C tractor. I use it to primarily move dead semi trucks around the shop, clear snow, and as a light forklift. Of course it grades and smooths the gravel driveway/parking area. It was purchased to use during my shop construction in 2000 with the intention of selling at the completion. It has never spent a night outside since I've owned it. It has also proven to be so handy that I'll never be without one. The trouble is that I'm needing something a bit heavier, with greater reach. This tractor won't lift over a ton as a forklift, and is a little too light for pushing dirt as a light dozer. This summer there is an addition going onto the the building and I need some demolition work performed, then dirt work, and finally finish details. This is coupled with the Case just really doesn't like to load a tandem dump truck quickly due to reach. I really only want to purchase one machine as I'm not a dirtworker. I actually restore antique heavy trucks. My floor is smooth concrete and as mentioned the outer areas are gravel. The storage area for trucks/chassis is dirt, grass, and pasture. I really have no other experience with skid steers other than this one. Once I did borrow a Case 95XT series but really couldn't move any more dirt with this tractor than my own for the cost difference. I don't think it pushed through a pile any better than my current tractor. I'm asking for guidance as to what will work in my application and appreciate any input. The dealers don't care what you purchase as long as it is something. I would be very happy to be able to dead lift 3000# with a tractor. The heaviest things I move on a regular basis is a truck diesel engine after unloading at times from a semi trailer. There is a powered gantry crane here so once in the door there is no problem with movement. Thanks, Rob

Replies15
  1. #1andoman2010-03-08 08:35

    Mustang all the way You want a Mustang 2109 or a Gehl 7810 (they're the same machine) I use mine to load tri-axle dump trucks without taking the boards off (rated at 142") and I think the dead lift on them is around 4000 lbs. It's the largest skid you can get but it sounds like what you want. Once we started buying them we've never looked back.

  2. #2KSSS2010-03-08 11:27

    Not sure I am following you on the 1845C comparison to a 95XT. I have had 2 95XTs and currently a 465 (same machine for the most part). If your experience is they both push the same, then there was something wrong with the 95XT. The 1845C is a good midsize skid steer. The 95XT is an excellent large frame machine. The 1845C was nonturboed and 56 hp and wieghed about 7000 pounds. The 95XT is 85 hp turboed, and weighs about 9K. It will out work two 1845C machines. You might want to try a different one. I load side dump trailers and triaxle trucks with my 465 with no problems. The Gehl will reach higher. They are cheaper to purchase used.

  3. #3xcmark2010-03-08 18:52

    there is no changeing the fact that a track skid steer will out push a tire 2 to 1 , but it seams like your looking for more utility . The track machines that weight around 10K will pick up 4000 lbs no problem But this will cost more money to buy. THe big Gehl 7810 is a power house on tires , it has 100 hp maybe this is your best option.

  4. #41693TA2010-03-08 22:46

    Hi there and thanks for the replies in this quest. I've never really seen a Gehl unit although the Deere dealer, (Martin Equipment, Goodfield, IL) is the dealer for them. I live west of Peoria, IL and my wife works for Caterpillar and we are offered very attractive pricing on a Cat machine with an agreement to not resale for three years. This in itself is no problem as I usually own something many years. With this prospective purchase I am looking for a lot of versitility hence wanting only one unit. The only other piece of dirt equipment I've ever owned was a 780ck Case backhoe for the shop project, and it was sold shortly after completion. Boy did I catch hell from several of my Cat employed customers for that one...... It was a good tractor but I didn't need something that big with nothing to do. It was just over 25,000# in weight the way it was outfitted. I'm not against purchasing something with tracks if not too much at a cost premium, or wear compared to tires. With my 1845C I installed new tires and tubes shortly after purchase and had them filled with fluid. I know it is not recommended to do this but I don't abuse the equipment and it really helped a lot in tractive effort. I have about 850 hours on the tires and they are about 50% remaining, and mostly worn evenly. Thanks again, Rob

  5. #5Tigerotor77W2010-03-09 00:42

    If you're not going to be using the unit on a daily basis, I have absolutely no qualms for suggesting a Cat. A 252B2 will do a good job with lifting but doesn't have the new cab; for more comfort, I'd go with a 262C. The 272C isn't a bad idea, either, but I don't know if you need a machine that large yet. I don't think necessarily that the wife being a Cat employee means you should turn to Cat first, but given your planned workload and your being an owner-operator, I think the C-series makes a lot of sense.

  6. #6stuvecorp2010-03-09 02:08

    I'm surprised about hearing of that 95XT, they are a beast. The 95XT/465 would be nice when loading because of the vertical lift and can lift a lot. I have a 440 Case(like a 70XT) and it will lift more than an 1845. It is nice as it has the two speed for plowing. Hopefully you can try a 440 or better yet a 465 and see what you think.

  7. #71693TA2010-03-09 08:05

    I really don't know much about Cat machines as never been around them. The local dealer for the products, (Altorfer Inc.) in Peoria is a bit expensive on the consumable parts I like to keep on hand such as filters, fluids, etc. If purchasing a Cat machine it would need to come through them sponsored by Cat. I'm sure any warranty concerns would need to go through them also. The Case dealer in this area is Birkey's in Galesburg, Il and several other locations. A couple of years ago they bought out the Mccann dealership and this is the reason I'm really not steadfastly looking to stay with Case as the playing field is now level. I liked when Eighmy, (prior to Mccann) and then Mccann, had the dealership as friendship and helpful advice was always at hand. I actually purchased my tractor through the dealership before it was posted into inventory due to repossession for payoff value at the time. The 95XT I used seemed to work alright and was very quiet to operate with a full cab and door. Till that time I'd never been in a loader with a cab and the new one will have one for sure. I particularly liked the two speed operation as that has always been a gripe with my tractor unless working in close quarters. As far as breakout force, I really didn't notice much difference from mine in working with clay/dirt mix to grab a bucketful, transport it to where I would dump, and travel back to the starting point. Across open ground the 95XT was much faster. I also favored the piloted controls as opposed to mine. I used my tractor to build up an area about five feet deep that is about 60X110 feet for my shop addition over the past couple of years. I now have this large pile of dirt in my back yard to move for finishing and am wanting to move on a different tractor as mine is long depreciated out. Now that the weather is improving I can call the dealers for demo units and am going to consider all that has been mentioned. Thanks again, I value real world experience. Rob

  8. #8Tigerotor77W2010-03-09 09:22

    Unfortunately, Rob, I lack the real world experience part, but I'll add a few thoughts. First, dealer concerns. You're right that parts would come through Altorfer. If you haven't compared parts and intervals directly, it may be beneficial to look into how much the parts you'd be looking at would cost. In addition, I don't know if Altorfer has a policy for discounts for spouses of Cat employees. That may level the playing field a bit. When you talk to the salesmen at each place (and anywhere else, for that matter), pay attention to if it seems like they are genuinely interested in your business or if they just want to push a machine on you. Take a look at their service bay, too, and see if you can talk to the service manager. My experience with both sales and service was very good in the past, but my request was very different from yours. I think which machine suits your operation better will depend on you as an operator. If you're really competent with your 1845 and routinely push it until the engine almost stalls (but you're able to catch it and back off the controls before it does), you may feel, like a lot of the other Case users, that the Cats are a little bit wimpy because of their anti-stall valve. That being said, the B-series valve can be tuned and the C-series transmissions are much more aggressive, so perhaps the response will be good enough straight from the factory. This is something better experienced on a demo than convinced of online, so again, I'd recommend a demo. The 465 (the new name of the 95XT) is a solid machine; the 272C weighs about a half ton less. The 272C is a bit larger physically, but whether you work in tight spaces will decide whether this makes a big difference. I realize that I'm not offering anything concrete to help you out here, but my main message is for you to try out each machine rather than have us decide. There are those of us who lean very strongly one way or another on this forum, and I think to stay objective your best bet is to head to the dealers to give the machines a spin. If I were in your shoes I'd look at dealer quality first, but the "right machine for the job" -- for me -- would be the Cat. That being said, the biggest reason Cat created the 272C (their largest used to be the 262 size) was likely Case's 95XT, so with both machines being damned good ones, it may be the demo or dealer staff that makes the decision for you.

  9. #91693TA2010-03-09 13:08

    Hi Tiger, really appreciate your thoughts. My wife is an accountant for Cat and has nothing to do with production, and the pricing for employees is a separate entity from normal business as I understand. A tractor may, or may not come through Altorfer, but I'd assume so. A customer of mine did take advantage of the offer but picked the tractor up in Chicagoland a couple of years ago. I don't remember what series but 23X something rings a bell. You hit on a very valid point and the reason I've been discounting Case as a vendor in the new market. When Birkey's took over from Mccann, none of the employees who worked service were retained. These were some good people that went "above and beyond" to help me in some situations with my backhoe. One of the mechanics adjusted the hydraulic pressure relief on my tractor over lunch break for free, (I bought him a case of beer when he wouldn't take any money), and that attitude seems to be gone with the new ownership. Just sell, sell, sell from what I've seen. I've never dealt with Altorfer myself from the machine side of things. They own Injection Service of Illinois and I've had fuel injectors rebuilt there, but it is run as a separate entity altogether and they are some nice people. A couple of times I've been in for parts for one of my 1693TA, or D343 series engines, (same engine) and the parts people have no idea what I'm talking about. It is frustrating that if it can't be located on a computer screen easily, it must not exist. I don't mean to sound defensive but this has been my exposure. The guys at Mccann usually knew what I wanted off the top of their head on a machine that was over 25 years in age. Thinking I'm living in the past too much...... Thanks, Rob

  10. #101693TA2010-03-10 10:24

    Got ahold of a guy that used to be a salesman for Mccann when they were in Peoria. Ironically, he now sells Deere equipment. He does have a relative (father) with a 465 that is going to let me borrow it for a demo. This guy always treated me right in the parts dept. It has a cab with heat and air conditioning, electric/hydraulic attachment, with both tooth, and smooth buckets, and a set of 48" forks. There are other attachments also but I'm not going to be interested in a tree spade, auger, sod roller, etc. and other things like that pertaining to landscaping. He also has a set of steel tracks for it. Everything is going to be sold as the gent is retiring, and moving. Thanks for all the guidance and replies. I've not inquired at the Cat dealer yet but do plan to unless this machine is close to exact for what I'm needing. It seems the vesatility will be available and all criteria will be met. Rob

  11. #11mark4502010-03-12 17:58

    go for the 465

  12. #12alrman2010-03-13 05:14

    I would keep the 1845C - IMHO one of the best skid steers built by Case Hire someone in for demolition - save your machine Buy a forklift with a crane jib attatchment - you will have lift & reach - great workshop tool

  13. #13Z28982010-03-21 10:08

    Agreed! Keep the 1845C. I'm seriously considering being buried in mine when I leave this world. On the 7th day God made the 1845C.

  14. #14stumpjumper832010-03-21 11:07

    1845c's are the most reliable skid loader ever. The are a very hard machine to replace. If your considering a 7810, check the boom for cracks well, they are prone to crack booms. Another handy machine to come out recently is the mini telehandlers. 4 wheel steer 20' of boom, skid steer bucket attachments... The other unit that I like right now is the Bobcat a300 all wheel steer. Saves on tires, but you probably don't get enough hours on yours to justify cost.

  15. #15stuvecorp2010-03-21 11:09

    I like Case but after running the 440 you couldn't give me an 1845.