I just bought a 2012 CAT 289C XPS high flow machine. Picked it up in western MI then trailered it to Central NY. I went to unload it at the shop and couldn't get it to start. When I turned the key on, the glow plugs turn on, lap bar switch engaged, park brake on, and still nothing happens when you turn the key to start. No clicks or buzzing. Even when the lights are on and you turn the key you can't see the lights dim or anything. I believe I hear the fuel pump run every time the key is turned on, but nothing after that. I am going to try to investigate electrical connections and test the starter. I just don't want to beat my head against the the wall for nothing. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
possibly your starter relay , maybe a fuse out , or the solenoid.
Does it by any chance have a Cat Security System installed..?
Thanks guys, I checked the fuses and everything looked good. I'm not sure where to locate the relay. Do you think it's possible to get that solenoid out without dimantLing too much?
I'm not sure how to check to see if it has the security system. I can check the Serial# with the dealer.
Easy way. Is there a small LED warning light on the dash panel just to the right and slightly above the ignition key switch..?
Thanks, I'll check it out.
I don't think it has any security system. I didn't see any LED light.
Okey dokey, at least that removes one potential issue. Would an Electrical Schematic be of any use to you..? If so drop me a PM with your machine Serial Number and your email address. I can see 2 different types of MSS indicator. One is right by the key switch, the other is #11 on the overhead console. See below.
Thanks for your help guys! I found the stater relay. It was buried in some frozen mud in th engine compartment. The seal on the relay had failed, allowing moisture to enter and freeze. So I replaced the relay and everything works fine now. Thanks again for all your help.
that's great ( that what we are here for )