Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289c2 bucket will tilt and go down but not up

BPM · 2024-06-06 21:38

I have a Cat 289c2 about 1100 hours on it. S/N CAT0289CTRTD01496. Was in it this morning and the 1 alert light came on flashing with the 10 in amber showing dirty air filter. Replaced air filters inner and outer. Fired up machine and just lifted a pallet to a loft in my building, shut machine down, unloaded, got back in machine and same lights came on. Bucket will not go up, I have tilt and down. I checked codes via the old style left hand monitor and have the following codes, not sure about active or stored as it was getting pretty late and the screen fails to tell you the system mode you are in. 2475-3 Right joystick voltage high on forward back 2477-3 Right joystick voltage high on left right 1251-4 Alternator R terminal Voltage low 96-3 Fuel level sensor Voltage High and error codes E876-1 E875-1 E875-2 E391-1 I think the top 3 are voltage and that could be from having key switch on and off playing with stuff all day today E391-1 is the air flow. I have checked voltage to the blue and black wires at the air flow sensor, blue was 12.6 or so with engine off. Black shows good ground with my power probe. So I am not sure why that code comes up any time I attempt to lift the bucket. With machine running I can go forward and back, tilt bucket no lights until I attempt to raise the bucket and then the air cleaner lights pop on. I'm awful on electrical issues. It sounds to me like the right joystick has a problem but before I spend like $1600 on a new one I figured I would ask if there is anything I should be looking into first. I also went into mode 6 and tested the joysticks. The left one the percentages go up and down very smoothly. The right one, on tilt function it seems to work okay but the percentages are low, like under 10 percent. On raise and lower I have 0 on lower and raise goes straight to 100 and throws the error light. Thank you for any help its greatly appreciated

Replies17
  1. #1Nige2024-06-06 23:21

    Both joysticks should give similar readings both fore & aft as well as side to side. About 50% in the centre, 10% or less all the way in one direction and 90% or more all the way in the other. If the tilt function does not behave like that then it is reasonably certain the position sensor under the joystick has gone AWOL. The sensor is not available separately, the joystick base has to be replaced complete. When you enter the menu using the buttons the first mode it takes you into is Active Codes, the next mode is Active Events, followed by Logged Codes and Logged Events respectively.

  2. #2BPM2024-06-07 08:30

    Thank you Nige, A little fresher this morning. This is what I have. After I use right joystick and it throws the error light. I get Active Codes...2475-3 and 2477-3 Prior to using that joystick it has no active codes. I have 2475-3, 2477-3 1251-4 and 96-3 as active events No logged codes E876-1 E875-2 E875-1 and E391-1 as logged events When using the left joystick in mode 6 it progresses percentages smoothly from -100 to +100 in both axis. When using the right joystick, left and right somewhat function but the percentages are not smooth like the other side. Forward and back do nothing, like stays at 1 for forward and shoots to 100 when pulled back and then throws that error light. Sound like a bad stick to you?

  3. #3Nige2024-06-07 08:37

    It does. IIRC the LH & RH bases are the same part number. You could try swapping the RH base to the left and if the problem moves with it you have your answer. EDIT: Cancel that. The bases are different. Here are troubleshooting procedures for both 2475-3 & 2477-3. It seems a little strange that both have activated at the same time so you may be in luck and the problem is related to the common power or ground.

  4. #4ozarkag2024-06-07 22:20

    I would suspect failed joystick. Somewhat common failure, and both codes at once would support that. Your position testing is a great way to verify that the joystick is online but not happy.

  5. #5BPM2024-06-08 08:06

    Hello, Ordered the stick, should be here Monday. I'll update on this after I replace it. I did talk with Cat and ask if these sticks needed to be calibrated and was told no they are all plug and play now. I've seen past threads that indicated calibration was needed, maybe that is the change in part number? Just figured I would pass that along

  6. #6Nige2024-06-08 08:29

    If you’ve ordered the stick you’ve ordered the wrong part, unless I’m not understanding you correctly. The joystick assembly consists of two parts, the handle & the base. You need the base.

  7. #7BPM2024-06-08 08:32

    I ordered the entire assembly, looks like that is how it comes. I am not at the shop atm but the part number on my stick was replaced with a new one but it is the handle, base and pig tails. 460-5348: CONTROL GROUP-JOYSTICK​

  8. #8Nige2024-06-08 08:34

    The handle and base are available as separate part numbers. I’ll look them up for you and post back. Based on the 460-5348 Handle Gp the Base Assy is 456-0166 and the Handle Assy is 273-9104. Last time I looked the Base Assy on its own was about $800.

  9. #9BPM2024-06-15 21:11

    Just an update in case anyone else ever encounters the same issue. Alert light goes on for air filter and bucket wont raise. It was the joystick, must be something in the safety system that when the joystick goes screwy it throws the basic alert. So before you spend hours chasing wires and checking things associated with the air filter, go into your diagnostics and check your joystick position responses. Mine are set to read -100 to +100 on both axis. May save you some time. Thank you to everyone who responded

  10. #10Nige2024-06-16 04:59

    Glad to hear you got it sorted. Did you end up buying a complete joystick assembly or just the base.?

  11. #11Luccam2024-07-12 19:22

    Hey guys i have the same issue, swapped the joysticks around and confirmed that the right joystick is bad. Can i use the 456-0166 base and the handle off of original 379-1613? I think the 456-0166 is an updated unit

  12. #12Nige2024-07-13 06:48

    Both the earlier 379-1613 and later 460-5348 Joystick assemblies contain the same 273-9104 Handle, so that answer is yes. The only thing that updates is the base.

  13. #13Luccam2024-07-13 10:46

    Awesome thank you! Ordering the base then !

  14. #1492U 34062024-07-13 11:10

    Air filter light? I've only ever seen the yellow warning light with the exclamation mark come on for a joystick failure. Is this something new Cat is doing now?

  15. #15Nige2024-07-13 11:25

    Is this in reference to a Level 1 AMBER alert on the Engine Condition Indicator (#12) for air filter plugged or water in the separator as opposed to a Level 2 or 3 RED alert on the same warning light for coolant temp/oil pressure.?

  16. #1692U 34062024-07-13 12:03

    Not sure. I just seen where OP mentioned the joystick failure caused the air filter light to come on. Never seen that before so I was curious if that was something new Cat was doing.

  17. #17Nige2024-07-13 12:30

    Maybe he just got confused between the different warning lights.?