I have a 16 cat 289d. I don't think that it is lifting to it's capacity. I won't lift the back end off the ground when lifting on something too heavy. No counterweights added. Engine has plenty of power. Hydraulics just seem to stall out before it will lift the back end? Is there some sort of adjustment?
First thing to do would be a pressure test of the relief valve on the implement hydraulic system. To get the correct specification & procedure would require the Serial Number because there are 10 models of 289D to choose from.
Thanks
Just seeing if someone else out there has similar machine and if their rear end comes off ground when lifting something too heavy or do hydraulics cut out? I have had Hydra Mac machines in the past and the more counterweights added the more they lifted. On my cat no counterweights. Cuts out right before rear end lifts off ground. Any ideas or is this normal on a cat?
I get you. TBH if any Cat hydraulic system (not just a SSL) is adjusted correctly, if you try to lift something that is over the capability of the machine it will open the relief valve in the implement hydraulics and the lift function will be effectively disabled. Without being there with the machine your's sounds like it's working the way it is designed. Have you got the specifications of what the machine SHOULD be capable of lifting.? (Hint - Google Cat 289D Specalog on the web, it will have all the data) When you have that data then try lifting something of a known weight that is around the rated lifting capacity of the machine and see what happens.
Sometimes it depends on how you're trying to lift something. I can lift the back wheels on my skid steer easily if I want to but sometimes like when going into a pile it won't lift and the wheels stay on the ground. I think it depends on how far out the load is. Rolling the bucket back has more force than boom lift. Extra capacity is good but can also get you in trouble or break things. That's likely how Cat designs their machines.
Nige is correct on the design and application. It also depends on whether you have vertical lift or radial lift. Cat has always designed their machines to minimize the possibilities of structural damage and lesson the capabilities of operators to do damage to themselves or others.
Thanks for all the information guys. This is a great forum!!! That's kind of what I figured all along but is nice to be able to get some confirmation
I know the 277 I had you could not get the back end off the ground if you wanted and it was all set correctly