Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289d alternator problem.

Jason 189 · 2025-09-04 20:37

I’m stumped, have a cat 289d alternator quit working. Installed new alternator and still nothing. I have voltage on white small wire. No voltage on green wire. Verified alternator is not charging. Do I have a bad “new” alternator? Is there a fuse for this somewhere or a relay I’m missing? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Jason 1892025-09-04 20:37

    Serial number taw04446

  2. #2Simon C2025-09-08 11:12

    Green wire is the P- Terminal ( AC tap from stator ) that will produce AC power not DC power. It sends to the R - Terminal of computer Pin 47 to tell it if alternator is spinning, from what I understand. Guess what if it had signal it would not start from what I know. I could be wrong and maybe Nige will correct me. If you are getting voltage on the white wire it should be charging unless the positive cable from Alternator to Battery Positive is faulty. How much voltage was on the white wire. Simon C

  3. #3Simon C2025-09-08 11:52

    Just seen on the schematic that your Red output wire from Alternator goes to 1 big connector on the Positive post of your battery. It could be burn off internally if it is a Lead connector and not a threaded post connector with multiple cables secured by a nut. I am not there to verify what kind of connector it is. If it is the lead connector Just touch your Positive test lead on the Alternator Positive output terminal and your Negative test lead on the dead Center of the Positive post of the battery with the engine revved up a little and some lights on. If your meter reads more than 0.5 volts that connection is junk. Let me know what you find. Simon C

  4. #4Simon C2025-09-08 12:10

    Just to let you know, when your on the interactive schematic there is a Volume 1-3 on the bottom right corner. One is for Tier 4, I believe the other is for probably the other Tier 3 or interem Tier 4. Not 100% sure. Easy to get on the wrong volume and wonder why you can't find a wire. I had to learn after playing for quite a while. They have different numbers on your white wire coming out of the 2 pin plug on the alternator. Just so you know. Simon C