I’m a newbie here so thanks in advance. I think I am locked out. I entered the wrong code a couple of times and now the driver alert is flashing and machine won’t crank over when I try to start it. Is there a reset for this?
You're trying to enter the PIN for the MSS machine security system I take it.? According to the O&M Manual: - "If the entered PIN number is correct, the machine service hours will display in the service hour meter window. Key start switch may be moved to the START position to start the machine. If the entered PIN number is incorrect, the window will flash the word "CODE" for several seconds before another attempt can be made. Note: For security purposes, in the event an incorrect PIN is entered five times consecutively, the system will lock down for 15 minutes, during which period even a correct PIN will not allow the engine to crank. After the 15 minute lockdown period, entry of a correct PIN will unlock the system as usual." Have you made 5 or more attempts.? If so according to the above you need to leave the machine for at least 15 minutes for the MSS to reset.
Ok. I have left the machine overnight and still get the flashing driver alert when I put the correct code in. The hours come on but key will not start the engine. When I parked the machine last week it was running fine. I have changed all the filters. Fuel and air.
OK, if the hourmeter reading comes up after entering the PIN it doesn't appear that the MSS is causing the lack of starting. Any other alert indicators apart from the driver alert.? Have you checked battery voltage yet.? Unfortunately on the machines with MSS it's not possible to access Diagnostic Codes from the Monitor, it needs ET.
No other indicators come on. Voltage is good. I charged the battery overnight just to make sure. The fuel pump comes on and the filter housing is full. Would disconnecting the battery help reset any thing
Not as far as I know. What's the machine Serial Number.? I can see a dozen different models of 289D.
I’ll go look for it. Be right back.
Ok is this the right number. CAT0289DCTAW03183. Engine number is 8FA2965
Follow up on my problem. I disconnected the battery. Waited 10 minutes and reconnected it. That cleared everything up.
Good to know for the future. Thanks for following up with the solution.
I changed the master code on my 289D skid steer track loader and can’t remember the code so It won’t do anything until I reset it and I don’t have the code to do so is there anyway possible that somebody could let me know what code or what I have to do
Talk to a dealer would appear to be the only option. They will have a way of resetting Codes but unless at some point you recall the PIN for the MSS some sort of intervention/reset using Cat ET would appear to be your only hope. You could try disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes as per what the OP did but even after doing that you will still need to enter the correct PIN to get the machine to spark up.
Welcome to the Forums tb420. Please only post one topic in one thread. I moved the other thread to the archives. What Nige said - if you don't have the master code or a user code then it will take Cat ET. I am not sure if non-dealer ET can access the master codes - that's above my pay grade. Nothing personal but if there were a way to circumvent the master code no one here would explain it on an open forum to a stranger. Or if they did it wouldn't last long.
I’m not sure whether Customer ET can reset the MSS system either, and I don’t have a copy of ET close handy to check.